History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monument to Anne Sladen, Lee Old Churchyard

A Grade II Listed Building in Blackheath, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4635 / 51°27'48"N

Longitude: -0.0002 / 0°0'0"W

OS Eastings: 539015

OS Northings: 175730

OS Grid: TQ390757

Mapcode National: GBR L2.JMF

Mapcode Global: VHGR7.YG7Y

Entry Name: Monument to Anne Sladen, Lee Old Churchyard

Listing Date: 1 June 2007

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391997

English Heritage Legacy ID: 503656

Location: Lewisham, London, SE13

County: London

District: Lewisham

Electoral Ward/Division: Blackheath

Built-Up Area: Lewisham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Lee St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Catford

Listing Text


779/15/10031 LEE TERRACE
01-JUN-07 LEE
Monument to Anne Sladen, Lee Old Churc
hyard

GV II
Box tomb, erected c.1814 to Anne Sladen (d.1814), and other family members. A stone Neo-Classical box tomb with tapering angle pilasters decorated with flaming torches, a symbol of mortality widely used on churchyard tombs and headstones. The cornice has a tongue and dart motif, and the top of the tomb is a shallow square pyramid. Each corner would have had a semi-circular 'Soanian style' corner terminal, but only one remains with a wreath decoration.

HISTORY: Lee old churchyard contains many notable monuments which reflect the area's Georgian past as a place of retirement for City merchants and those involved with Greenwich and the Deptford shipyards. In the centre of the churchyard stand the remains of the tower belonging to the former medieval Church of St Margaret (listed Grade II). The current Church of St Margaret stands to the south side of Lee Terrace (1839-41, listed Grade II*). The churchyard of the current church contains later tombs, being used principally between the 1840s and 1870s. A decline in usage came with the opening of Hither Green Cemetery, Lee in 1873. This tomb was erected in c.1814 to Anne Sladen (d.1814). Other family members are also listed on the tomb, including her daughter Emma Mary Sladen (d.1829).

SOURCES
E and J Birchenough, Monumental Inscriptions in the Old Churchyard, St Margaret's, Lee (1967 typescript in Manor House Library)
C P Gwilt (1830), F Bamping (2001) et al, Lee - Kent Archaeological Society website.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The tomb of Anne Sladen (d.1814), and other family members, Lee old churchyard, Lewisham, is a handsome stone box tomb in the Greek Revival style. It meets the criteria for listing as an early C19 tomb of good architectural quality.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.