History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial at the Junction of Church Street and High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Easton on the Hill, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6268 / 52°37'36"N

Longitude: -0.5062 / 0°30'22"W

OS Eastings: 501210

OS Northings: 304268

OS Grid: TF012042

Mapcode National: GBR FW3.BTV

Mapcode Global: WHGM3.677L

Entry Name: War Memorial at the Junction of Church Street and High Street

Listing Date: 19 June 2007

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1392032

English Heritage Legacy ID: 502461

Location: Easton on the Hill, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE9

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Easton on the Hill

Built-Up Area: Easton on the Hill

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Easton-on-the-Hill All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Easton on the Hill

Listing Text

EASTON ON THE HILL

1745/0/10018 CHURCH STREET
19-JUN-07 War Memorial at the junction of Church
Street and High Street
HIGH STREET
War Memorial at the junction of Church
Street and High Street

II
War memorial of Wittering Pendle and Clipsham stone, designed by Henry Traylen and erected in 1920. Four stepped base surmounted by an octagonal plinth, tapering shaft and cross. Copper plaques are on the sides of the plinth. The memorial bears the inscription `IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF EASTON WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 (NAMES), ALSO IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE OFFICERS, NCO'S AND MEN OF THE ROYAL AIR FORCE WHO WERE KILLED IN OR NEAR THIS PLACE DURING THE YEAR 1918 (NAMES), DIED FROM NATURAL CAUSES (NAMES), ALSO IN REMEMBRANCE OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE WAR 1939-1945 (NAMES).

HISTORY.
The war memorial was paid for by public subscription following a meeting in 1919 of all the villagers. The Marquis of Exeter donated gravel and stone and local men offered to build the monument. The memorial was unveiled in 5th May 1920 by the Marquess of Exeter and Major Davidson of the RAF.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE.
The war memorial at Easton on the Hill is a good example of a simple, but elegant memorial in a prominent position in the village and is an important historical and architectural testament to the men from the village who died in the First and Second World Wars. There is a presumption in favour of designating free-standing war memorials as they are an important reminder of nationally and internationally significant events which had a tragic impact on local communities. The war memorial is an architecturally distinct and fitting tribute to the fallen of two World Wars.

Listing NGR TF0121004268


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 January 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.