This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0726 / 51°4'21"N
Longitude: 1.0227 / 1°1'21"E
OS Eastings: 611852
OS Northings: 134706
OS Grid: TR118347
Mapcode National: GBR V0J.MDN
Mapcode Global: FRA F619.07R
Entry Name: The Sanctuary
Listing Date: 15 October 2007
Last Amended: 25 April 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392273
English Heritage Legacy ID: 503719
Location: Lympne, Folkestone and Hythe, Kent, CT21
Civil Parish: Lympne
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
1605/0/10009 THE STREET
15.10.2007 THE SANCTUARY
(Formerly listed as:
House, formerly farmhouse.
DATE: The eastern part is dated 1774, the western part was added in the early-C19. The garage to the north-west and outbuilding to the south-west are not of special interest.
MATERIALS: Eastern part brick rendered, western part tile-hung with some painted brick to the ground floor. Gabled tiled roof with end brick chimneystacks to the east and triple hipped roof to the west.
PLAN: Eastern range was a two-storey two-bay house with end chimneystacks, possibly originally with a single-storey western outshot under a catslide roof. The western range added a staircase-hall, cellar and an additional two rooms on each floor.
EXTERIOR: The east elevation was originally the principal front. It has a brick modillion cornice and plinth and a datestone of 1774 with the initials WRE and JF. There are two irregularly-spaced C19 casement windows with leaded lights and two cambered doorcases. The north side, now the entrance front, has a small lean-to addition, two multipane sash windows and a doorcase with cornice and brackets. The west elevation has a first floor metal casement with leaded lights and a ground floor multipane sash. The south side has two first floor multiple sashes with horns, a C20 window to the ground floor and a doorcase with a reeded surround.
INTERIOR: The ground floor of the eastern range now comprises one room but was originally two rooms divided by a central passage. There is a central chamfered spine beam and exposed floor joists but two additional beams have been added parallel to the spine beam. At the southern end is a large brick open fireplace with a wooden bressumer. The staircase-hall adjoining to the west has an early-C19 staircase with columnar newel post. There is a cellar with brick steps. The south-west dining room has a doorcase with an early-C19 reeded surround with paterae, a door with six fielded panels, cambered arch to the fireplace and a segmental headed alcove. The north-west room, currently a kitchen, has a four-panelled door with blocked rectangular fanlight, a fireplace with reeded surround with lozenge decoration to the centre and corners and a cupboard with narrow serpentine shelves. The north-eastern bedroom has the exposed upper part of the northern chimneybreast and an C18 studded partition. There are three C19 fireplaces to the upper floor.
HISTORY: This was a farmhouse until the 1970s when it was purchased by an author, Margaret Brentnall. The building appears on the First Edition OS map of 1873 with a building close by marked "smithy". Some of the smithy walls are incorporated in the C20 garage.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The Sanctuary is designated for the following principal reasons:
* As a largely intact late-C18 farmhouse dated 1774 with a western range added in the early-C19;
* The plan form of a two-bay end chimneystack house with two additional rooms on each floor is clearly readable;
* Surviving internal features include an open fireplace and exposed beams to the earlier wing and an early C19 staircase, doorcases, fireplaces and a cupboard with serpentine shelves to the early C19 wing;
* Group value with adjacent listed buildings, including the Grade I listed Lympne Castle, within a conservation area.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings