This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3629 / 53°21'46"N
Longitude: 0.093 / 0°5'34"E
OS Eastings: 539372
OS Northings: 387153
OS Grid: TF393871
Mapcode National: GBR YY2K.X6
Mapcode Global: WHJKZ.DQHT
Entry Name: Barrack Block at North West Corner of Square
Listing Date: 11 October 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392625
English Heritage Legacy ID: 500372
Location: Manby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Manby
Built-Up Area: Manby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Manby St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
MANBY BUSINESS PARK,
Barrack block at NW corner of square
Barrack block. 1936-7. A Bulloch, architectural advisor to the Air Ministry's Directorate or Works and Buildings (drawing no. 3690/35). Cavity brick construction, interlocking tile roof covering to hipped roof, brick stacks.
PLAN: central entrance hall and staircase flanked by dormitory rooms.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. All windows are wood sashes, set to flush boxes with brick voussoir heads and concrete sills. 7-window S front with first-floor 15-pane sashes and 12-pane ground-floor sashes, projecting central bay; latter has hipped parapetted roof and single lights flanking panelled door with radial fanlight set in semi-circular header arch set on imposts; channelled rustication to door surround. 2-window returns and similar 9-window rear elevation with segmental arches to 3 central openings (2 windows and one door).
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: This is a distinctive design of 1935 by the Air Ministry architect, A Bulloch, prominently sited at the NW corner of the parade ground. Detailing is restrained throughout, but massing, spacing and proportions are carefully considered, in the neo-Georgian style favoured at this period, and influenced by the impact of the Royal Fine Arts Commission, especially though the architect, Sir Edwin Lutyens. Manby ranks with Hullavington in Wiltshire - another Scheme A station - as the most complete and architecturally unified of the post-1934 stations of the so-called Expansion Period of the RAF. For further details see description for Tedder Hall (qv).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings