This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2901 / 52°17'24"N
Longitude: -0.5175 / 0°31'3"W
OS Eastings: 501210
OS Northings: 266813
OS Grid: TL012668
Mapcode National: GBR G05.FYN
Mapcode Global: VHFPF.ZP8R
Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk
Listing Date: 22 July 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392657
English Heritage Legacy ID: 504833
Location: Melchbourne and Yielden, Bedford, MK44
Civil Parish: Melchbourne and Yielden
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Yelden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
MELCHBOURNE AND YIELDEN
50/0/10005 HIGH STREET
K6 Telephone Kiosk
Telephone kiosk of K6 type, designed in 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott and made by various contractors.
MATERIALS: Cast iron.
PLAN: Square in plan with domical roof.
EXTERIOR: Painted red. There are relief crowns in the segmental upper sections on each side, above glazed panels bearing the word 'TELEPHONE'. The door and two sides are glazed, each having eight horizontal strips of glass with narrow margin lights.
HISTORY: The first standardised telephone kiosks, known as the K1, were designed in 1921. In 1924 the Postmaster General held a competition to find a better design. The product was the K2, designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, architect of Battersea Power Station and Liverpool Cathedral. His Neoclassical design, influenced by the work of the Regency architect Sir John Soane, consisted of a cast iron cubicle with a domical roof. A perforated crown (symbol of the General Post Office) was set within the upper panels on each side. Subsequent versions were variations on this theme. The most common survivor is the K6, designed by Scott in 1935 to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George V. This version was smaller than the K2 and generally painted red, with the crowns applied in relief rather than perforated. It had eight strips of glass with narrow margin lights on each side, whereas the K2 had 6 x 3 panes on each side.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION:
The K6 telephone kiosk on the High Street in Yelden is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* It is an iconic example of industrial design, showing Sir Giles Gilbert Scott's adaptation of Neoclassical forms for a modern technological function
* It has group value with two listed buildings in the immediate vicinity and is in a heritage location
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings