History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pump House in Withy Wood

A Grade II Listed Building in Boxwell with Leighterton, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6401 / 51°38'24"N

Longitude: -2.2642 / 2°15'50"W

OS Eastings: 381815

OS Northings: 193509

OS Grid: ST818935

Mapcode National: GBR 0MJ.4CP

Mapcode Global: VH95H.P1WJ

Entry Name: Pump House in Withy Wood

Listing Date: 8 August 2008

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1392709

English Heritage Legacy ID: 504387

Location: Boxwell with Leighterton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Boxwell with Leighterton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Newington Bagpath with Kingscote

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Kingscote

Listing Text

BOXWELL WITH LEIGHTERTON

1177/0/10001 LASBOROUGH PARK
08-AUG-08 Pump House in Withy Wood

II
Pump house serving Westonbirt house of 1860's with later additions and alterations. Cotswold stone building with brick annex, built largely underground to accommodate a pump driven by an internal water wheel with a single set of arms. The machinery was accessed via a flight of steps leading down from the west. The hipped roof is supported by two machine cut trusses with raking struts and is partly covered by Cotswold stone slabs. A brick built underground annex chamber leading south from the access steps contains the remnants of iron pipe work associated with a disused hydraulic ram. The main room contains the waterwheel and machinery which includes an indirect-action water pump powered by a pitch back cast iron water wheel with a single set of arms, served by a penstock pipe with overflow valve, supplied by a leat leading from a pond impounded behind a dam. The rotary power from the wheel was transferred via vertical geared cog wheels to a horizontal crank shaft from which three crankpins linked to piston rods provided the plunging motion to drive the triple valve cast iron pump. The machinery is supported on two parallel brick built bases. The pump bears the name of the manufacturers who were Easton and Anderson, London.

HISTORY
The shortage of a reliable water supply in the vicinity of Westonbirt House led to the construction of a combined water extraction scheme which involved two hydraulic rams and a water pumping mill.
Conflicting historical sources make accurate dating of this scheme difficult, but it was certainly in place by the 1860's and may have been installed up to 20 years earlier. The water was pumped some 6km to the house. The hydraulic rams no longer survive and the waterwheel driven pumping machinery was updated in the late C19.

The most comprehensive account of the Westonbirt waterworks is an unpublished account of their history written by F. Godwin in 1912. In this account Godwin notes that 'On each side of the valley they fixed a pair of hydraulic Rams, fed by separate and independent springs, and in the rivulet at the bottom a dam was constructed forming a head of about 10 feet below which a small waterwheel was fixed, which worked a set of pumps or plungers. The waste from the rams contributed to turn the waterwheel.'

The pump surviving within the house was manufactured by Easton and Anderson a company with a long and distinguished history that traded under this name during the 1890's.

Reasons for Designation Decision
The pump house in Withy Wood, Lasborough Park is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Built to provide water for Grade I listed Westonbirt House
* Well preserved example of Victorian pumping machinery
* Pumping machinery manufactured by the internationally significant company of Easton and Anderson
* Unusual water wheel with a single set of arms
* Comprehensively documented history
* Association with early hydraulic rams
* Owners derived their fortune from supplying London with water

SOURCES
F. Godwin, History of Weston Birt Waterworks (unpublished manuscript dated 19.05.1912).

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.