This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2538 / 52°15'13"N
Longitude: 0.4218 / 0°25'18"E
OS Eastings: 565406
OS Northings: 264504
OS Grid: TL654645
Mapcode National: GBR N9R.RFN
Mapcode Global: VHJGJ.8MC2
Plus Code: 9F427C3C+GP
Entry Name: Entrance Gateway and Gates at No.44 (Abington Place Stables)
Listing Date: 30 October 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392766
English Heritage Legacy ID: 505810
Location: Newmarket, West Suffolk, Suffolk, CB8
Civil Parish: Newmarket
Built-Up Area: Newmarket
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Exning St Agnes
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL66SW BURY ROAD
177-1/0/9 (Southeast side)
30-OCT-06 Entrance gateway and gates at No.44 (A
bington Place Stables)
Gateway and gates at entrance to driveway at Abington Place Stables and Trainer's House, Bury Road [qv]. 1895. By John Flatman in a Northern Renaissance style, possibly inspired by late C16 or early C17 designs for triumphal arches, for Martin Gurry, racehorse trainer. Red brick with red and yellow terra cotta dressings, stone dressings, and pair of elaborate wrought iron gates.
PLAN: recessed archway flanked by quadrant walls stopped at the outer ends by square piers supporting lamps.
ELEVATION: central archway on offset plinth with moulded terra cotta jambs and basket arch with stone voussoirs and raised and dropped keystone. The keystone is carved in relief to front and rear with monogram MG in a frame, and the archway is framed by pilasters on moulded bases, and with a panel of moulded foliage on the face of each pilaster. The entablature, which breaks forward over each pair of pilasters, has its frieze decorated with festoons over a dentil string course, and cornice with a dentil moulding. The parapet above the entablature has moulded capping and a pier block capped by a ball finial above each pilaster, with blind balustrading at either end; above the parapet between the finials a shallow, stone coped, Flemish gable with crowning finial set on a moulded base block. In each of the outer faces of the flanking quadrant walls recessed panels in moulded frames; the outer piers in banded rustication with stone pyramidal caps, and on each cap a glazed, metal-framed, gas lantern with ornamental cresting and finial. In the archway a pair of wrought iron gates of scroll pattern enriched with leaves.
HISTORY: the gateway was built for Martin Gurry following the success of `La Sagesse', a horse he trained for Sir James Miller which won The Oaks at Epsom in 1895.
REFERENCES: Forest Heath District Council: Newmarket Horse Racing Training Yards: 1992: 85.
Brown, Haward and Kindred: Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914: Ipswich: 1991: 107.
Flatman, J: Drawings: 1895: Forest Heath Drawings Archive H.60.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings