This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4455 / 51°26'43"N
Longitude: -0.9584 / 0°57'30"W
OS Eastings: 472480
OS Northings: 172353
OS Grid: SU724723
Mapcode National: GBR QPK.S7
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.BXNQ
Entry Name: Gatepiers, Walls, Gates and Railings on Allcroft Road and Lower Mount, to Hillside
Listing Date: 31 March 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392868
English Heritage Legacy ID: 493634
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Redlands
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
934/0/10057 ALLCROFT ROAD
31-MAR-05 Gatepiers, walls, gates and railings o
n Allcroft Road and Lower Mount, to Hi
Gatepiers, walls, gates and railings forming two sides of the boundary to Hillside. Circa 1880-1900. Allcroft Road entrance. Main driveway with pair of red brick piers with enriched terracotta frieze of rosettes, stepped caps surmounted by terracotta ball finials. Each has red brick buttress with moulded bracket displaying flowers. Each pier inscribed Hillside. Red brick parapet wall stone coping, with narrow brick piers on Lower Mount, possibly rebuilt in part on Allcroft Road. Pair of cast iron gates to main entrance with central scrolled panel. Railings of alternating panels between square shafts with incised tops. The panels are alternately a broad scrolled pattern with an urn finial, similar to the gates, and a narrower shaped panel with a ball finial. Lower Mount entrance. Pair of brick gatepiers similar to but less ornate than main entrance. Part of one terracotta finial remains. Pair of panelled timber gates with shaped head. Curved upper strap hinges. Long L hinges at base.
The wall to left, in red and grey brick, is partly reduced in height and rebuilt. Red brick horizontal band and terminal post, red brick rectangular panels set in grey brick fabric of wall. Stone copings.
Hillside, an opulent suburban house built for W I Palmer in 1880 by Morris and Stallwood survives in a remarkably intact setting. Although the garden has been partly built over the entrance and its drive survive, with original planting. The gateways, gates and railings are valuable in putting the house in context.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.