This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7629 / 51°45'46"N
Longitude: -1.2602 / 1°15'36"W
OS Eastings: 451156
OS Northings: 207393
OS Grid: SP511073
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.D6T
Mapcode Global: VHCXN.3YNF
Entry Name: Wycliffe Hall
Listing Date: 7 October 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392912
English Heritage Legacy ID: 493686
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2
Electoral Ward/Division: North
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
612/0/10143 BANBURY ROAD
07-OCT-08 North Oxford
Two former houses, incorporated into Anglican theological college. No. 54 1867 by John Gibbs for Thomas Arnold, tutor, with extension to north-east of c.1877, and large southern extension of 1882-3 by Wilkinson and Moore for Wycliffe Hall; No. 52 1869 (by Frederick Codd), the two linked by chapel of 1896. Much extended later C19 and C20.
EXTERIOR: No 52.
1869 by Frederick Codd. Yellow brick with window arches outlined in red; stone strings, window dressings and gable copings; plain tile roofs; yellow brick chimneys with offset caps. 2 storeys, semi-basement and attic; 3 by 3 bays with irregular gables. Gothic arched windows with colonnettes and capitals elaborately carved with naturalistic flora, fauna and volutes. Plate glass sashes. South front to junction with Norham Gardens has slightly advanced central gable with 2-storey bay, further gable to right, and narrow corbelled chimney to front left. Entrance front to Banbury Road has gable to right, gabled dormer with half-timbering to left, added bay window, and steps up to wooden porch with overhanging trussed gable and patterned leaded glazing. Original half-glazed door with side lights and intersecting arched overlight. Interior retains original stairs with bobbin balusters, and some moulded door architraves. Otherwise heavily refurbished internally C20.
1867 by John Gibbs for Thomas Arnold, tutor, with extension to north-east of c.1877, and large southern extension of 1882-3 by Wilkinson and Moore for Wycliffe Hall. Former dining room added to front of porch 1913 by A.R.G. Fenning. Present dining room added to rear 1975.
Original house is red brick with flush bands of polychrome brick and encaustic tiles, carved stone decoration, and slate roofs. 4 storeys and basement. Ruskinian Romanesque style with round-arched single-light windows. Plate-glass sashes. Front has left windows flanking chimney with carved stone dragon corbel, and base and canopy of empty niche. Parapet to right, with central projection on stone corbels; 2-storey porch below with stone archway on columns with carved caps, now hidden by former dining room extension in form of Perpendicular chapel. Wing at right-angles set back to left. Simpler matching extensions to both sides.
Chapel link of 1896 by George Wallace. Brick with stone dressings in Perpendicular style with octagonal turret and stone bellcote to right. Chapel extended to rear pre 1927, as dated by stained glass in east window. Interior has cusped panelling and ribbed ceiling with elaborate wooden tracery infilling the trusses. Other fittings to be replaced 2001.
HISTORY: The north Oxford suburb evolved from about 1860 on land owned by St. John's College, with the College gradually making available discreet sets of building plots to lease as it sought to ensure a firm financial future for its endowment. No. 52 was built as an ordinary dwelling house but leased in 1870 to Miss Lydia Sellon, founder of Holy Rood Convent. The lease was sold in 1883 to trustees of Wycliffe Hall. No. 54 used by Thomas Arnold, the son of the famous headmaster of Rugby School, as a private school, the extra 4-storey size required for bedrooms for pupils. Leased to Wycliffe Hall 1877 for use as a college for training Anglican clergy.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Two decisively styled Victorian houses of the late 1860s, by Frederick Codd and John Gibbs, one Gothic, the other Ruskinian Romanesque. No. 52, of 1869 by Frederick Codd, is externally one of the best examples of Victorian Gothic on north Oxford's Norham Manor Estate. It is intact with only minor alteration. No. 54, built two years earlier by John Gibbs, offers a striking contrast in style. It is red brick with polychrome bands, encaustic tiles and carved stonework, in a Romanesque style showing the strong influence of John Ruskin. Additions of 1913 and 1896 are both of high architectural quality. Taken together the properties that today comprise Wycliffe Hall meet the stringent national criteria needed to be added to the list at grade II.
SOURCES: T. Hinchcliffe, North Oxford, 1992, pp. 150-3
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings