This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0472 / 51°2'49"N
Longitude: -1.1496 / 1°8'58"W
OS Eastings: 459709
OS Northings: 127883
OS Grid: SU597278
Mapcode National: GBR 97S.B5Y
Mapcode Global: FRA 86GB.ZYN
Plus Code: 9C3W2VW2+V5
Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk
Listing Date: 11 November 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392987
English Heritage Legacy ID: 505368
Location: Bramdean and Hinton Ampner, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24
Civil Parish: Bramdean and Hinton Ampner
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Hinton Ampner All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
69/0/10005 HINTON HILL
11-NOV-08 K6 Telephone Kiosk
K6 telephone kiosk of cast iron and glass.
DESCRIPTION: This K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red with long horizontal glazing in door and sides, with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It is in current use as a functioning telephone kiosk, with modernised internal equipment.
The K6 telephone kiosk has a low brick wall behind it and is situated opposite a group of listed buildings Nos. 4 and 5 Hinton Hill (Grade II) and No. 6 Hinton Hill (Grade II).
HISTORY: The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.
The telephone kiosk is situated in a location that is likely to have been in use for telephone services since the early C20. This is indicated by a sign, which appears to be early C20 in date, on a telegraph pole immediately opposite the telephone kiosk outside No. 4 Hinton Hill. This traditional enamelled sign points to the kiosk with the lettering: 'TELEPHONE, TELEGRAMS MAY BE TELEPHONED'. This sign appears to be contemporary with the K6 kiosk, or may even pre-date it. This connection with associated historic street furniture also would appear to be enhanced by the former history of No. 6 Hinton Hill as a post office. No. 6 Hinton Hill (Grade II), orignally an early C19 cottage, was in use as a shop and post office from the end of the C19 until some time in the C20. It is shown as a post office on Ordnance Survey maps of 1891 and 1909. There is still an early C20 posting box (reign of GR) set into the wall of this building.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The K6 telephone kiosk at Hinton Hill is designated for the following principal reasons:
* It has a strong visual relationship with 4 listed buildings: Yew Tree Cottage (Grade II), 7 & 8 Hinton Hill (Grade II), 6 Hinton Hill (Grade II) and 4& 5 Hinton Hill (Grade II);
* Historic signage survives opposite on a telegraph pole referring to the facilities provided by the telephone kiosk; and it lies opposite a listed former post office - both providing context to historic communications facilities at this location.
The K6 telephone kiosk at Hinton Hill is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It stands opposite and directly in line of sight with a group of listed buildings;
* Historic signage survives opposite on a telegraph pole referring to the facilities provided by the telephone kiosk; and it lies opposite a listed former post office - both providing context to historic communications facilties at this location.
* It is situated in a conservation area.
Other nearby listed buildings