This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2993 / 51°17'57"N
Longitude: 0.7807 / 0°46'50"E
OS Eastings: 593947
OS Northings: 159242
OS Grid: TQ939592
Mapcode National: GBR RTV.D73
Mapcode Global: VHKJT.HL2V
Entry Name: Chapel Cottage
Listing Date: 10 February 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393121
English Heritage Legacy ID: 505264
Location: Lynsted with Kingsdown, Swale, Kent, ME9
Civil Parish: Lynsted with Kingsdown
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
366/0/10007 KINGSDOWN ROAD
10-FEB-09 Chapel Cottage
Cottage orné, Gothick-style, possibly an estate cottage or toll cottage originally, now house. Dated 1835 on a brick to the left of the principal entrance with the initials JH. The later C20 rear extension and conservatory are not of special interest.
MATERIALS: It is constructed of knapped flint with some flint galleting, handmade red brick quoins and window dressings. The hipped roof was tiled in plain tiles in the mid C20 with bonnet-hip tiles, but there is an original brick chimneystack.
EXTERIOR: The front or north elevation is symmetrical with a central round-headed surround, with a ledged plank door flanked by round-headed windows with original wooden Y-tracery Gothick casements with diamond-leaded lights in the top of the Y. The east side is also symmetrical with a central round-headed blocked entrance, filled in with knapped flints, flanked by two identical round-headed casement windows with Y tracery. There are original walls of unknapped flints on the northern part of the east side and the eastern part of the south side. The external wall of the latter is now internal, as a later C20 conservatory and a rectangular late-C20 flat-roofed extension were added to the south-east.
INTERIOR: The north room stretches the full width of the building. It retains a brick hearth but no fireplace remains. The door in the south wall is a C19 ledged plank door, later sawn into two to convert it into a Dutch door. The east room is part of the original building. The roof structure has thin rafters with ridgepiece, thin purlins and collars. Some rafters may be original but most of the timbers appear to have been replaced in the mid-C20.
HISTORY: The brick dated 1835 is the probable date of construction. Early Ordnance Survey maps do not show a chapel nearby, the building is too small to have been a chapel and does not display chapel features so perhaps the building got its name from the Gothick style casement windows. It may have been built as an estate cottage, possibly for a farm labourer. Its position near a road junction suggests it may have been a toll cottage. The original building consisted of the north and east rooms. The building is first shown on the 1885 Ordnance Survey map as a rectangular shape, with a detached outbuilding to the south-east and a small detached building further to the south west, probably a privy. These buildings are shown on the 1896 edition, but by the 1908 edition the privy has gone and the outbuilding was demolished after the 1939 edition.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
* It is a good example of a Gothick-style cottage orné, dated 1835, possibly built as an estate cottage or a toll cottage;
* It is an excellent example of local knapped flintwork with some flint galleting remaining;
* It retains the original unusual round-headed wooden casement windows with Y-tracery;
* The plan form is still readable internally despite later rear extensions;
* The exterior is substantially unaltered on three sides.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings