This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3993 / 50°23'57"N
Longitude: -4.2046 / 4°12'16"W
OS Eastings: 243411
OS Northings: 57816
OS Grid: SX434578
Mapcode National: GBR R02.F8
Mapcode Global: FRA 272Z.XCY
Entry Name: The Camber at Rnad Bull Point
Listing Date: 17 April 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393248
English Heritage Legacy ID: 497773
Location: Plymouth, PL5
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: St Budeaux
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
740-1/0/895 RNAD BULL POINT
17-APR-09 The Camber at RNAD Bull Point
Walls enclosing wet dock. 1851-4, designed by the Commanding Royal Engineer, Devonport, for the Board of Ordnance. Granite ashlar with granite coping, limestone to inner face. Walls form four sides of dock with central opening to the W. Seaward face and top of granite, with deep bull nose moulding to upper surface.
HISTORY: Bull Point, located just to the north of the Royal Navy's new Steam Yard at Keyham, was the last great project of the Board of Ordnance, which was abolished in 1856. It provided storage for 40,000 barrels of powder in an integrated complex including a floating magazine where powder was unloaded and the 1805 St Budeaux laboratory where it was checked and processed, before being taken to the Bull Point magazines (SAM). In contrast to other yards, Bull Point was from the outset provided with a set of buildings planned and dedicated to the various functions for the processing as well as the storage of the new types of ordnance which had a revolutionary impact on the design of naval ships and fortifications. All the buildings - mostly in ashlar with rock-faced dressings and fronting an avenue to the S of the magazines - are stylistically coherent with the magazines themselves. They comprise both the finest ensemble in any of the Ordnance Yards, consistent with the high standards practised by the Ordnance Board in its designs for fortifications and barracks from the C17 and a remarkable example of integrated factory planning of the period.
For a full history of the site, see Building 13 (qv).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings