This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9294 / 50°55'45"N
Longitude: -0.607 / 0°36'25"W
OS Eastings: 497988
OS Northings: 115364
OS Grid: SU979153
Mapcode National: GBR FH5.PB8
Mapcode Global: FRA 96MN.7B5
Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk
Listing Date: 12 August 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393578
English Heritage Legacy ID: 503750
Location: Sutton, Chichester, West Sussex, RH20
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Sutton
Built-Up Area: Sutton
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Sutton St John the Baptist with Bignor Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
427/0/10037 THE STREET
12-AUG-09 K6 Telephone Kiosk
K6 telephone kiosk. Cast iron and glass.
DESCRIPTION: This K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red with long horizontal glazing in door and sides, with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It is in current use as a functioning telephone kiosk, with modernised internal equipment. In a recent British Telecom survey it was reported to be in fair condition overall, and retaining all glass windows.
The kiosk stands adjacent to No. 500 The Street (Grade II), and together they form a visual group with the neighbouring Forge House (Grade II). The kiosk is in a conservation area.
HISTORY: The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.
It is reported that, according to local inhabitants, a telephone box has existed in the village since the 1930s and was originally positioned outside a former local shop. The current K6 telephone kiosk is believed to have moved to its present location in the 1960s.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The K6 telephone kiosk in Sutton is designated for the following principal reasons:
* Designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935, the K6 is a major landmark of industrial design.
* It stands stands in the immediate vicinity of Grade II listed cottage, No. 500 The Street, and in a strong visual relationship also with the Forge House (Grade II).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings