This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8691 / 51°52'8"N
Longitude: -0.1919 / 0°11'30"W
OS Eastings: 524585
OS Northings: 220487
OS Grid: TL245204
Mapcode National: GBR J89.SCM
Mapcode Global: VHGP6.M9F0
Entry Name: Hillcroft
Listing Date: 16 December 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393620
English Heritage Legacy ID: 495513
Location: Knebworth, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG3
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Knebworth
Built-Up Area: Knebworth
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Knebworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
105/0/10028 DEARDS END LANE
Two storey house, built 1901 as a pair of semi-detached cottages designed by E. Lutyens who converted it into one house in 1904 adding a rear extension. Additional mid C20 two storey extension to the south.
Red brick, laid in stretcher bond, with a gable roof and plain tile covering.
'T' shaped with front range and projecting rear extension.
There are two central angled ridge stacks each with three interlocking flues and pots. The façade has a central recessed porch with contemporary two leaf, part glazed entrance door and three dormers. The rear elevation accommodates the single storey, double height, rear extension with an end stack. Timber casement windows throughout, some of which are later C20 replacements.
The interior reflects the 1904 conversion, although the plan-form of the 1901 cottages remains legible. The brick-built inglenook fireplace on the ground floor is flanked by recessed, arched panels. A second fireplace, with cast-iron grate,remains in the first floor bedroom. There are contemporary battened doors throughout. The Lutyens rear extension is partly double-height and has a brick built fireplace against the rear wall, the stack being recessed above the fireplace, providing emphasis to the casement window above.
Hillcroft was designed by Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944) in 1901 for his brother-in-law, Earl Lytton of Knebworth House. Lytton planned other houses and the golf clubhouse in Deards End Lane before World War I and commissioned Lutyens to design them. Hillcroft was designed as a pair of semi-detached, interlocking cottages for estate workers in 1901, but in 1904 Earl Lytton commissioned Lutyens to design a conversion of the building into one residence, adding a substantial extension to the rear.
R. Meredith, History of Hillcroft (1997) [copy with the Lutyens Trust]
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
Hillcroft, Deards End Lane, Knebworth, is recommended for designation for the following principal reasons.
* It is an example of a good quality imaginative design by Edwin Lutyens
in 1901, converted by him into a single residence in 1904.
* Although there have been some later C20 alterations they are sympathetic to the Lutyens composition which focusses on the wide entrance lobby leading to the double-height rear extension.
* Hillcroft has group value with the other listed buildings by Lutyens on Deards End Lane with which it is comparable in quality.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Hillcroft, Deards End Lane, Knebworth is designated for the following principal reasons.
* Hillcroft is an example of a good quality, imaginative design by Edwin Lutyens in 1901 and converted by him into a single residence in 1904.
* Although there have been some later C20 alterations, they are sympathetic to the Lutyens composition which focuses on the wide entrance lobby leading to the double-height rear extension.
* Hillcroft has group value with other listed dwellings by Lutyens on Deards End Lane with which it is comparable in quality.
Other nearby listed buildings