This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3834 / 53°23'0"N
Longitude: -2.5839 / 2°35'1"W
OS Eastings: 361260
OS Northings: 387554
OS Grid: SJ612875
Mapcode National: GBR BYD9.DV
Mapcode Global: WH98R.87V1
Entry Name: Church of Our Lady of the Assumption
Listing Date: 17 March 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393628
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491539
Location: Warrington, WA4
Electoral Ward/Division: Latchford West
Built-Up Area: Warrington
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Latchford St James
Church of England Diocese: Chester
704/0/10053 ST MARY'S STREET
Church of our Lady of the Assumption
Catholic church. 1901-2, By Robert Curran, architect, of Warrington, with fittings by John Douglas of Chester. Coursed rock-faced sandstone with ashlar red sandstone dressings,steeply pitched roofs with coped gables, and a Welsh slate roof coverings incorporating decorative banding. Restrained Decorative Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: Linear plan, oriented east-west, with south-west corner tower incorporating porch, nave, north and south aisles and chapels, chancel and sanctuary.
EXTERIOR: Steeply-gabled west front with a tall 5-light Geometric-traceried window within a deeply-moulded pointed arch. Below, similarly moulded arch to West door
and hood mould with finely sculpted head stops depicting Christ and the Virgin Mary. Plank double doors with elaborate strap hinges. A moulded string at cill level links the West window to flanking stepped buttresses. Lean-to aisles to north and south sides, the latter extending from the rear of a 2-stage south-west tower. This has angle buttresses, a deeply moulded surround to the porch doorway in the south elevation, and above, an elaborate niche with a corbelled base and cusped head within a crocketed gablet. North and south aisles have cusped 2-light windows with hoodmoulds to 4-centred arch heads. Clerestory windows above are of 3 lights with flat heads at eaves level. Shallow buttresses delineate the nave and chancel bays. At the end of each aisle, attached single bay chapels with steeply-pitched roofs and coped gables with cross finials. Gables have traceried circular windows with quatrefoils surrounding central trefoils. Chancel and canted sanctuary with blind east wall and 2-light windows to flanking canted walls.
INTERIOR: Tall 5-bay nave with pointed arches to aisle arcades supported on polished red granite columns. Roof trusses are carried on slender attached shafts rising from corbels within the intersections of the nave arcade arches. Elaborate and accomplished screens to the side chapels, servers stalls and a canopied sedilia designed by John Douglas of Chester,and executed by Bridgemans of Lichfield. Pulpit of 1936 by Joseph Reubens of Bruges. Stained Glass sanctuary windows of 1932 and 1939 by Margaret Rope.
HISTORY: The church was designed to include an 150 ft spire set upon the south-west tower. The fittings designed by Douglas were his only Catholic Commission, and their designs were exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1907.
The church of Our Lady of the Assumption is of special architectural interest as a carefully composed ecclesiastical design of the early C20, which has undergone little substantive alteration, and which retains fixtures fittings of high quality, including designs by the celebrated Chester architect John Douglas.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings