This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6303 / 50°37'49"N
Longitude: -3.3167 / 3°19'0"W
OS Eastings: 306971
OS Northings: 82006
OS Grid: SY069820
Mapcode National: GBR P6.Q3X0
Mapcode Global: FRA 37YD.MPL
Entry Name: 20-38, Coastguard Road and Associated Outbuildings Including the Rocket Cart House and Wash House, Boundary Wall, Coal Sheds and Wcs and Linking Steps to Boathouse
Listing Date: 28 January 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393647
English Heritage Legacy ID: 507500
Location: Budleigh Salterton, East Devon, Devon, EX9
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Budleigh Salterton
Built-Up Area: Budleigh Salterton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Budleigh Salterton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
1138/0/10017 20-38, COASTGUARD ROAD and associated
28-JAN-10 outbuildings including the Rocket Cart
House and Wash House, boundary wall,
coal sheds and WCs and linking steps t
A Coastguard Station, comprising a row of eight terraced coastguard cottages, a pair of Petty Officer's cottages, an Officer's House, the rocket cart house and wash house, coal sheds and W.C.s, the boundary wall, and steps providing access to the boathouse. Built for the Admiralty: designs by John Haite, assistant civil engineer to the Admiralty, are dated 1873.
MATERIALS: Red brick in Flemish bond with stone and brick dressings.
PLAN: The Coastguard Station is situated on the cliffs overlooking the Budleigh Salterton coastline. The complex is arranged with the terrace of eight two storey coastguard cottages to the north, with their associated W. C. and coal sheds to the north concealed from Coastguard Road by a high section of boundary wall. The two Petty Officers' cottages and an Officer's House with associated W.C.s and coal sheds are to the east of the site. The single storey rocket cart house and wash house is to the north-west corner of the complex, and the steps are to the south-west corner linking the station to the boathouse on Marine Parade. The coastguard station is enclosed by a boundary wall. Formerly a watch house and a flagstaff stood to the south of the site. A much-altered boathouse (currently the Longboat Cafe, and not included within the listing), stands to the south closer to the shore.
EXTERIOR: The coastguard cottages are built of red brick in Flemish bond with stone kneelers and stone coping to the gables and slate roofs. The eaves cornice is constructed of cogged brick and the plat band is of shaped brick with shaped stone sections to the corners. The windows to the south elevation have all been replaced with uPVC double glazing but the sash windows to the north elevation beneath triangular headed brick arches to the ground and first floor survive. The north elevation of the row of cottages have late C20 flat roof extensions except to No. 26 and 28.
INTERIOR: The terraced cottages have a simple plan with a kitchen and living room to the ground floor and two bedrooms to the first floor. Some of the internal joinery survives including four panel doors with associated door furniture, fitted cupboards and staircases. The Coastguard Officer's House, No. 38, is a larger house that retains similar features.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: The coastguard station includes the brick built single storey rocket cart house and wash house, the coal sheds and W.C.s, the boundary wall, and the steps linking the coastguard station to the boathouse.
HISTORY: The 1841 census records that there were four coastguards and their families living in Budleigh Salterton. They were employed by the Admiralty and wore uniforms, taking part in prescribed drills and training. In 1872, it was agreed that a new Coastguard station should be built on land owned by Lord Rolle at Budleigh Salterton, linked to a boathouse on the seafront by a set of brick steps. The building plans for the site, drawn up by the Devonport-based assistant civil engineer to the Admiralty, John Haite are dated 20 February 1873 and were approved by Ritt Lipscomb, Steward of the Rolle Estates, on the 8 April 1874. The coastguard station at Budleigh Salterton performed anti-smuggling, lifesaving and Naval reserve functions and was manned by the paid service personnel who lived on site. It is reported that in 1890 there were eleven men and one officer manning the Budleigh Salterton Coastguard Station. During the First World War the coastguards were called up for naval duties and the station was taken over by volunteers.
SOURCES: J. Gooding, Budleigh Salterton in bygone days (1987), 31, 34, 92; The National Archives, 'Coast Guard Budleigh Salterton Station' plans and drawings, 1873 (WORK 30/3182-89); Joanna Smith, Coastguard Stations (unpublished report, Research & Standards Dept, English Heritage Oct 2009).
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: 20-38 Coastguard Road, a Coastguard station of post-1873 designed by the Admiralty, is recommended for listing at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural: the design, characteristic of later Victorian Admiralty Coastguard buildings, is well considered and cohesive
* Historic: the ensemble is a clear reminder of the significant role played by the Coastguard Service in the maritime history that informs our island identity, and of the history of Budleigh Salterton
* Group interest: it is an unusually complete group of coastguard buildings, including officer's house, a terrace of coastguard cottages, wash house and rocket cart house, and associated outbuildings, boundary wall and steps, with a clear functional relationship
* Rarity: this is an unusually complete ensemble, with a rare survival of the Rocket Cart House
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings