This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4159 / 53°24'57"N
Longitude: -2.924 / 2°55'26"W
OS Eastings: 338683
OS Northings: 391408
OS Grid: SJ386914
Mapcode National: GBR 7KK.GH
Mapcode Global: WH878.1DWN
Plus Code: 9C5VC38G+9C
Entry Name: Church of St Anne
Listing Date: 27 March 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393738
English Heritage Legacy ID: 494841
Location: Liverpool, L13
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Swan
Built-Up Area: Liverpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Liverpool Stanley St Anne and St Paul Stoneycroft
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
392/0/10258 PRESCOT ROAD
CHURCH OF ST ANNE
Parish church, 1889-91, by Aldridge & Deacon. Rock-faced red Woolton stone under slate roof. Conventional layout of nave, chancel under reduced height roof, north transept, 2 aisles, 2 entrance porches on south side, tower between eastern porch and lady chapel to right of chancel, vestry and offices on north side of chancel, all in early gothic revival style.
EXTERIOR: Chancel of 2 bays, east window with plate tracery of 5 pointed arch lights and 3 circular lights under hoodmould, string course above and below window. 3 small lancet lights at apex, and dedication plaque below window: To the glory of God and in memory of Thomas Harrison this church was erected by his son T R Harrison A D 1889. Side chapel to south with east window a simpler 3-light version of chancel window. Shallow transept to north with rose window in gable end above vestry. Nave north and south walls identical with 5 groups of 3-light pointed-arch clerestorey windows and a single light at west end, in ashlar dressings, continuous drip mould throughout, and dentilated eaves mouldings. Aisles have 4 2-light windows in the same style, north aisle with a single light at the west end, south aisle with a gabled porch at the west end. Continuous drip mould above and string course below aisle windows. Larger gabled porch at east end of nave, pointed-arch doorway with ashlar mouldings and tripartite carving of seated figure flanked by angels. Tower between porch and Lady Chapel, in 3 stages. One angle buttress to part way up first stage, octagonal corner buttresses with pinnacles and gargoyles from 3rd stage. 1st stage south window pointed arch with plate tracery and hood mould, 2nd stage on three sides 3 small arcaded windows, 3rd stage in ashlar masonry, single pointed arch window on each side, pierced arcading on balustrade above. West end has 5-light pointed arch window, and raised gable with octagonal corner buttresses topped with pinnacles, matching the tower. On north side of chancel, vestry and offices, with square headed window and mono-pitch roofs, entrance in east end.
INTERIOR: Interior stonework is ashlar Runcorn stone. Chancel has stained glass east window and marble reredos carved with bas-relief last supper scene. Sedilia on south side with carved canopies, and pointed arch to Lady Chapel. Organ and pointed arch doorway to vestry on north side. Fixed choir stalls. Marble altar rail with blind arcading, matching pulpit to left and font to right, both with short black marble supporting columns and white marble relief carved panels above. Lady chapel to south side of chancel, with tripartite stained glass east window and side altar. Roof partly under tower with sexpartite vaulting, pointed arch to east section has decorated capitals. Nave has fixed wooden pews, some removed to rear, parquet floor and unpainted curved wooden roof with king posts springing from tie beams on jowled posts above clerestory windows. Arcade plate has widely spaced clustered columns supporting equilateral arches to aisles. West end of nave partitioned off to form narthex with wood, steel and glass screen. Heavy steel beams formerly supported a lowered ceiling, now restored to original height except in aisles. Tower accessed from porch has spiral stone staircase, chamber at second stage, wooden stair to bell chamber with 2 bells.
Churchyard to south contains tomb of Thomas Harrison, the founder, with Celtic cross in white marble.
HISTORY: the church was built to replace an earlier church on the same site that dated to 1831. It was endowed by members of the Harrison family, who owned an important shipping line in Liverpool and were significant benefactors of the Church of England. The church was built by Thomas Fenwick Harrison in memory of his father, the pulpit was the gift of his daughter, the east window of his son, the Lady Chapel east window of another daughter and the font of his grandchildren. The Lady chapel was furnished, including iron gates later removed, in 1900 by Mr Duncan Radcliffe, and in 1914 Fenwick Harrison donated the organ. The nave was first partitioned in 1965, with major alterations in 1999 designed by Anthony Grimshaw.
This 1890 church was built and endowed by members of the Harrison family, from the important Harrison Line shipping company of Liverpool, and incorporates good design, high quality materials and craftsmanship and a high degree of original survival, thereby meeting the criteria for listing at Grade II.
Other nearby listed buildings