This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8352 / 53°50'6"N
Longitude: -2.3329 / 2°19'58"W
OS Eastings: 378187
OS Northings: 437714
OS Grid: SD781377
Mapcode National: GBR DS42.QX
Mapcode Global: WH96K.4VBQ
Plus Code: 9C5VRMP8+3R
Entry Name: Sabden House
Listing Date: 2 June 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393829
English Heritage Legacy ID: 501947
Location: Sabden, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7
Civil Parish: Sabden
Built-Up Area: Sabden
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Sabden, Heyhouses St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
Near Wesley Street/ Clitheroe Road,
Villa, formerly vicarage, now private dwelling. 1847, with late C20 alterations and additions. Regularly coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings, stone chimney stacks, and a slate roof covering to hipped roofs enclosing now covered central light well. .
PLAN: L-shaped plan, with extended and raised service wing extending to the north.
EXTERIOR: Entrance (west) front of 2 storeys, 3 bays, with single storeyed flat-roofed entrance porch to centre. South wall with 6-panel door set within heavily moulded semi-circular arch-headed doorway with hoodmould. Shallow arcading to eaves, and pilastered corners , with single light window with semi-circular arched head. Either side of the porch are tall 2-light mullioned windows, with semi-circular arch-headed lights. 2-light first floor windows have 4 over 4 pane sash frames. South elevation to garden with 2 canted bay windows below mullioned 2-light first floor windows. Rear elevation extended by 2 bays with C20 window joinery. C20 pitched roofed conservatory added to north elevation, below level of large stair window.
INTERIOR: Amended plan form with open plan kitchen area formed from former service wing. House part little altered , with panelled doors, moulded architraves and skirtings, and moulded plaster cornices. Panelled semi-circular hall arch gives access to principal stair with slender turned balusters, and scrolled and ramped handrail. Ground floor reception rooms with good quality hearths, that to the main reception room with a bolection moulding and carved ornamentation, and possibly a replacement.
HISTORY: Sabden House is believed to have been built in 1847 on land donated by Le Gendre Nicholas Starkie, who also funded its construction as the parsonage house for the nearby St Nicholas' Church. The house was extended in the 1970s and refurbished in 1991.
Forms a group with the Church of St Nicholas. (q.v.)
Sabden House is of special architectural interest as a well-preserved detached villa of 1847 with good interior detailing, which forms part of a carefully designed ensemble of church and parsonage in the hamlet of Heyhouses.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings