This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3889 / 50°23'20"N
Longitude: -4.9361 / 4°56'9"W
OS Eastings: 191390
OS Northings: 58460
OS Grid: SW913584
Mapcode National: GBR ZN.8NNX
Mapcode Global: FRA 08K0.LTM
Entry Name: Milestone Opposite Madison Place
Listing Date: 2 August 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393899
English Heritage Legacy ID: 507761
Location: St. Enoder, Cornwall, TR9
Civil Parish: St. Enoder
Built-Up Area: Indian Queens
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Enoder
Church of England Diocese: Truro
02-AUG-10 (Northwest side)
Milestone opposite Madison Place
A milestone erected in 1835. The granite stone is roughly triangular on plan with chipped corners; it is approximately 0.3m high and has a flat top. The stone is painted white and has black painted lettering to one side, inscribed B/12.
The Bodmin Turnpike Trust was enacted in 1769, and this milestone is the most westerly of the Trust. In 1835 the milestone was placed at the end of the road between Higher Fraddon and Bodmin, when that route was realigned and lengthened. The new line eased the gradient of the route and took it over a greater distance, requiring the addition of a twelfth milestone. At this time, the other eleven milestones on the route were all moved by about a quarter of a mile. The Bodmin Turnpike Trust was wound up in 1874, and the route was taken over by the new County Council.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The milestone opposite Madison Place, erected by the Bodmin Turnpike Trust in the 1830s is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: the milestone is a good example of an 1830s stone on an historic turnpike road.
* Intactness: the stone is in its original location, and is intact.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings