This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4737 / 51°28'25"N
Longitude: -0.0823 / 0°4'56"W
OS Eastings: 533282
OS Northings: 176710
OS Grid: TQ332767
Mapcode National: GBR TT.NX
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.J7B4
Entry Name: Railings along pavement to the front of 30-34 Peckham Road
Listing Date: 3 September 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393944
English Heritage Legacy ID: 508102
Location: Southwark, London, SE5
Electoral Ward/Division: Brunswick Park
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Camberwell St Giles with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
636-1/0/10150 PECKHAM ROAD
Railings along pavement to the front o
f Nos. 30-34
A set of C18 railings with C20 alterations, run east-west along the pavement edge in front of Nos. 30, 32 and 34 Peckham Road.
DESCRIPTION: The railings are cast-iron and set in a low stone plinth with some areas of concrete infill. They consist of square bars with alternating diamond shaped and blunt spike shaped heads. The standards have urn finials and dog-leg braces. At the centre of the run is a pair of large cast-iron arches, roughly reaching the height of the top rail, with decorative scrolled finials above. This appears to be the remains of gates to a former entrance, now modified to form part of the run.
At the eastern and western ends are two entrances, each with cast-iron gates of a later date with matching finials. Both are flanked by rusticated stone gate piers with stone caps, and cast-iron lamps set on decorative bases above.
HISTORY: The railings run along Peckham Road, between the pavement edge and the forecourt of Nos. 30, 32 and 34 Peckham Road. Nos. 30, 32 and 34 Peckham Road, later known as Camberwell House, were originally built as three substantial houses in 1790. Nos. 30 and 32 was occupied as a school under the direction of one Mr Wanostrocht and originally named Alfred House. It was later sold to the Royal Navy and became the first Royal Naval School. Funded purely by voluntary contribution, the Navy School's purpose was to educate 'the sons of those naval and marine officers whose scanty incomes did not allow them to provide a first-rate education for their boys' (from "Camberwell" in Edward Walford's Old and New London, 1878).
When the Royal Naval School relocated in 1846, Alfred House was re-named Camberwell House and converted to a private mental asylum by one John Hayball Paul. It closed in 1955, from which time the building was occupied by Southwark Borough Council and used as offices.
N. Pevsner & B. Cherry, The Buildings of England. London 2: South, 1994
E. Walford, Camberwell in Old and New London, vol 6 1878 pp269-286
Images of Chamberlain House held at Southwark Local History Library
Case books relating to Chamberlain House Asylum located in the Wellcome Library (GB 0120 MSS.6220-6221)
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The railings along the pavement of Peckham Road, fronting Nos. 30-34 Peckham Road, are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Age and design: a surviving run of late Georgian railings and gate piers
* Group value: with the Grade II listed Nos. 30-34 Peckham Road and the Grade II listed lamp post in the grounds.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings