This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8989 / 53°53'56"N
Longitude: -0.8914 / 0°53'28"W
OS Eastings: 472944
OS Northings: 445322
OS Grid: SE729453
Mapcode National: GBR QR6C.T2
Mapcode Global: WHFCL.88SB
Plus Code: 9C5XV4X5+HF
Entry Name: Gardham Lock and Swing Bridge
Listing Date: 15 September 2010
Last Amended: 18 October 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393979
English Heritage Legacy ID: 506366
Location: Cottingwith, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO42
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Cottingwith
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sutton-on-Derwent St Michael
Church of England Diocese: York
Lock with Swing Bridge, c.1818, by George Leather for the Pocklington Canal Company.
MATERIALS: Red brick with gritstone dressings, with iron swing bridge.
PLAN: The lock chamber has parallel sides, splayed at each end beyond the gates. The original wooden lock floor was removed during restoration and the foundations were replaced with steel piles. Between the gates is a manually operated swing bridge with iron girder substructure and metal handrails. The curved recess for the bridge has stone ridges along the top to provide purchase. The lock gates and manual and hydraulic gearing mechanism have been restored to traditional design.
The Pocklington Canal was constructed at the beginning of the C19 to transport mainly agricultural goods from the East Riding to the larger urban centres to the south and west. A Bill was placed before Parliament in 1814 and the canal was designed by George Leather Jnr, an experienced navigation engineer who worked on Goole Docks and the Knottingley and Goole Canal. The canal was opened in 1818, running for 9.5 miles from the River Derwent at East Cottingwith to a mile south of Pocklington. The cost was £32,695, which was actually less than the original estimate.
Coal, lime, fertiliser and industrial goods were carried to Pocklington, and agricultural produce was sent to the West Riding. After 1847, when the canal was sold to the York and North Midland Railway, there was a decline in trade and the last cargo was carried on the canal in 1932. In 1963 ownership passed to British Waterways. It is now navigable as far as Melbourne, and some of the locks have been restored by the Pocklington Canal Amenity Society (formed in 1969), but it is a remainder waterway and there are no plans to restore the canal fully.
Gardham Lock was restored in 1975.
* Date: it is a pre-1840 canal structure and forms part of a sequence of listable structures along the length of the canal;
* Historical Associations: the lock was designed by George Leather, a well-known navigation engineer and designer;
* Intactness: the principal brick and stone superstructure of the lock remains intact, with restoration of the lock floor using steel piles and the re-establishment of the lock structure carried out to traditional design.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings