This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8971 / 53°53'49"N
Longitude: -0.8062 / 0°48'22"W
OS Eastings: 478540
OS Northings: 445204
OS Grid: SE785452
Mapcode National: GBR QRTC.7R
Mapcode Global: WHFCM.L98S
Entry Name: Pocklington Canal Coat's Bridge
Listing Date: 15 September 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393980
English Heritage Legacy ID: 506364
Location: Bielby, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO42
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bielby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Everingham
Church of England Diocese: York
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/10/2011
POCKLINGTON CANAL COAT'S BRIDGE
Canal bridge, 1818, designed by George Leather.
MATERIALS: Brick with stone voussoirs, string course and detailing; there has been some patching of the brickwork.
PLAN: The bridge has a single basket arch crossing the Pocklington Canal, with outswept parapets terminating in stone-capped square brick pillars. To either side of the arch, on both sides of the bridge, are segmental brick buttresses with rounded stone caps. The canal towpath runs beneath the bridge on the west side of the canal.
HISTORY: The Pocklington Canal was constructed at the beginning of the C19 to transport mainly agricultural goods from the East Riding to the larger urban centres to the south and west. A Bill was placed before Parliament in 1814 and the canal was designed by George Leather Jnr, an experienced navigation engineer who worked on Goole Docks and the Knottingley and Goole Canal. The canal was opened in 1818, running for 9.5 miles from the River Derwent at East Cottingwith to a mile south of Pocklington. The cost was £32,695, which was actually less than the original estimate.
Coal, lime, fertiliser and industrial goods were carried to Pocklington, and agricultural produce was sent to the West Riding. After 1847, when the canal was sold to the York and North Midland Railway, there was a decline in trade and the last cargo was carried on the canal in 1932. In 1963 ownership passed to British Waterways. It is now navigable as far as Melbourne, and some of the locks have been restored by the Pocklington Canal Amenity Society (formed in 1969), but it is a remainder waterway and there are no plans to restore the canal fully.
Coat's Bridge is one of four bridges crossing the canal designed by George Leather.
SOURCES: Pocklington Canal Amenity Society, The Pocklington Canal, 2008
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
Coat's Bridge on the Pocklington Canal is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It is a pre-1840 canal structure and is one of a group crossing the Pocklington Canal
* It was designed by George Leather, a well-known navigation engineer and designer
* It remains in its original condition
* It is of good architectural quality with a strong design.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings