We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3879 / 51°23'16"N
Longitude: -2.3659 / 2°21'57"W
OS Eastings: 374635
OS Northings: 165488
OS Grid: ST746654
Mapcode National: GBR 0Q9.W3F
Mapcode Global: VH96L.YC3X
Plus Code: 9C3V9JQM+4J
Entry Name: 2 Rivers Street and attached railings
Listing Date: 12 June 1950
Last Amended: 15 October 2010
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1394649
English Heritage Legacy ID: 510051
ID on this website: 101394649
Location: Walcot, Bath and North East Somerset, Somerset, BA1
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Tagged with: Building
656-1/30/1376
RIVERS STREET (North side)
No.2 and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as: RIVERS STREET (North side) Nos.1-15 (Consecutive))
12/06/50
GV
II
Terrace house, now flats. Originally c1775 by John Wood the Younger, rebuilt in replica by Mowbray Green after destruction by bombing 1942.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar to front and rear, Welsh slate parapeted mansard roof with coped party wall with ashlar stack to right.
EXTERIOR: three storeys, attic and basement. First floor has three grouped six/six, nine/nine, six/six horned sashes in plain reveals with continuous stone sill; second floor has three similar four/four, six/six, four/four sashes. Ground floor has to right two six/six horned sashes in plain reveals with continuous stone sill, to left six-panel door in pedimented Doric doorcase with two concrete steps to crossover. Basement has two six/six horned sashes in plain reveals with continuous stone sill, six-panel door under crossover, concrete area steps. Triple dormer with four/four, six/six, four/four horned sashes. Band course over ground floor continuous with Nos 1 and 1A Rivers Street (qv), modillion cornice and coped parapet continuous with Nos 1-4 Rivers Street (qv). Rear elevation in similar style.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached railings and gate with shaped heads on limestone bases.
HISTORY: Rivers Street was developed by John Wood the Younger on three parcels of land: Nos. 1-11 constructed in conjunction with Catharine Place on ground conveyed on perpetual leasehold from Sir Benet Garrard to Wood and Brock as his trustee 19/20 December 1766. Nos. 16-28 and 36-47 Rivers Street with areas behind Nos. 46 and 47 on ground conveyed from Rivers Estate (owned by Sir Peter Rivers Gay) to Wood 5 March 1768 for 99 years. Nos. 28-35 Rivers Street were constructed in conjunction with Russell Street on ground bought by John Wood and Andrew Sproule as his trustee from Thomas and Daniel Omer 30 December 1768 on perpetual freehold rents. Strip of ground on which Nos 12-15 and 48-50 Rivers Street constructed probably never acquired by Wood. Sites of Nos. 12-15 were conveyed from Rivers Estate to Thomas and James Beale on 30 December 1774 and 16 October 1776 on perpetual freehold rents.
A number of different Bath builders were responsible for implementing Wood's overall design, re Ison.
SOURCES: Building leases and rate books; Walter Ison, The Georgian Buildings of Bath (2nd ed. 1980), 233.
Listing NGR: ST7463565488
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings