We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3872 / 51°23'13"N
Longitude: -2.3627 / 2°21'45"W
OS Eastings: 374858
OS Northings: 165414
OS Grid: ST748654
Mapcode National: GBR 0Q9.X2D
Mapcode Global: VH96M.0D9D
Plus Code: 9C3V9JPP+VW
Entry Name: No. 11 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 12 June 1950
Last Amended: 15 October 2010
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1394808
English Heritage Legacy ID: 510214
ID on this website: 101394808
Location: Walcot, Bath and North East Somerset, Somerset, BA1
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Tagged with: Building
RUSSELL STREET
656-1/30/1453 (East side)
No.11 and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
RUSSELL STREET
Nos.1-18 (Consec))
12/06/50
GV II
House, now flats. c1771-1773. Architect: John Wood the Younger.
MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar to front, rubble to plinth to basement, rubble to rear, double pile parapeted mansard roof, double Romans to front and rear, with coped party wall with two ashlar stacks with some early clay pots to right.
EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attic and basement, three-window front. First floor has three plate glass horned sashes in ovolo moulded architraves with splayed jambs with friezes and cornices, lowered moulded stone sills with simple wrought iron balconettes. Second floor has three plate glass horned sashes in ovolo moulded architraves with splayed jambs with stone sills. Ground floor has two plate glass horned sashes in splayed reveals with stone sills to right; to left, an eight-panel door with fielded and single glazed panel with one cement-coated step in cyma moulded architrave in flat surround with heavy console brackets supporting projecting moulded cornice forming hood over, two steps to cement-coated crossover. Basement has two six/six horned sashes in plain reveals with stone sills, further six/six sash in former doorway under crossover, limestone area steps with Pennant inset in treads, wrought iron handrail. One double and one single dormer with plate glass sashes. Band course over ground floor, modillion eaves cornice and coped parapet. Rear elevation partially visible has glazing bar sash to second half-landing of staircase, otherwise plate glass.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached wrought iron railings and gate with shaped heads on painted bases.
HISTORY: Russell Street developed by John Wood in conjunction with Assembly Rooms and east end of Rivers Street on part of Holdtock's Garden or Russell's Close bought by Wood and Andrew Sproule, his trustee, from Thomas and Daniel Omer 30th December 1768.
SOURCES: Bath City Record Office, Deed Packet: 2382A 15 RUSSELL ST; T. Thorp T, `Plan of the Parish of Walcot ... Surveyed for - Gay Esq 1740'; Walter Ison, `The Georgian Buildings of Bath' ((2nd ed. 1980), 156
Listing NGR: ST7485865414
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings