This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7554 / 51°45'19"N
Longitude: -2.0803 / 2°4'49"W
OS Eastings: 394553
OS Northings: 206306
OS Grid: SO945063
Mapcode National: GBR 2NW.WC0
Mapcode Global: VH950.W4LM
Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk
Listing Date: 10 November 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1396079
English Heritage Legacy ID: 506650
Location: Edgeworth, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Edgeworth
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Edgeworth St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
428/0/10011 CENTRE OF EDGEWORTH VILLAGE
10-NOV-10 K6 TELEPHONE KIOSK
K6 telephone kiosk
DESCRIPTION: The K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in door and sides and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It has modernised internal equipment. The kiosk appears to be in good condition (2009).
The kiosk is situated amongst an area of woodland at the western end of this small village. It stands on an incline approximately 25m to the south of the former Post Office, now 1-3 Terrace Cottages (Grade II). The kiosk has a strong visual relationship with these three listed buildings when viewed from multiple directions.
HISTORY: The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The K6 telephone kiosk in Edgeworth, Gloucestershire, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It has a strong visual relationship with three listed buildings
* It is a representative example within a rural setting of this important C20 industrial design
* It is situated within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings