This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.2249 / 54°13'29"N
Longitude: -1.704 / 1°42'14"W
OS Eastings: 419398
OS Northings: 481057
OS Grid: SE193810
Mapcode National: GBR JMJL.W8
Mapcode Global: WHC7C.S2SG
Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk
Listing Date: 29 November 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1396372
English Heritage Legacy ID: 508749
Location: Fearby, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Fearby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
1159/0/10010 FEARBY GREEN
29-NOV-10 K6 TELEPHONE KIOSK
K6 telephone kiosk.
DESCRIPTION: The K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in door and sides and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow curved roof. It has modernised internal equipment. At the time of inspection, the kiosk was still operational and in a reasonable state of repair with only some minor damage to the door. All of the glazing was of glass with no Perspex replacements.
The kiosk is sited at on the broad village green which forms the heart of Fearby Green with the buildings of Chapel Farm immediately adjacent and Holly Farm immediately opposite across the road, both being Grade II listed. The open aspect of the green and lack of intervening structures means that the telephone kiosk has a strong visual relationship with these listed buildings.
HISTORY: The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The K6 telephone kiosk in Fearby Green is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Group Value: the kiosk has a strong visual relationship with the buildings of the listed Chapel Farm and Holly Farm.
* Setting: the kiosk forms a focal point on the broad village green at the heart of the Conservation Area.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings