This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4777 / 53°28'39"N
Longitude: -0.4774 / 0°28'38"W
OS Eastings: 501147
OS Northings: 398965
OS Grid: TF011989
Mapcode National: GBR TX37.F2
Mapcode Global: WHGGV.MVW9
Plus Code: 9C5XFGHF+32
Entry Name: Lock 1 at Tf 010990, Caistor Canal
Listing Date: 2 April 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1396410
English Heritage Legacy ID: 501251
Location: South Kelsey, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN7
Civil Parish: South Kelsey
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: South Kelsey St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
Lock 1 at TF 010990, Caistor Canal
Canal lock. c.1793-5. Ashlar in fine large blocks. Cast-iron fittings.
The lock chamber is approx. 14 feet wide and 60 feet long (probably built to take Humber Keels, the usual type of boat used on the waterways connecting with the Humber). There are recesses for paddles in the lock sides within the upper gate recesses, with tunnels to take the water around the gates into the chamber. There are no corresponding tunnels at the lower end, the paddles probably being in the missing gates. There are cast-iron brackets at the top of each of the lock pivots, set into the top of the stonework. Some of the square iron surrounds to the tunnel entrances, against which the paddles would have rubbed, survive. A C20 bridge has been built over the lock with steel joists resting on the chamber walls but this element is not of special architectural interest.
HISTORY. The Caistor Canal was built under an Act of Parliament of 1793 following the survey of the engineer William Jessop in 1792. It was disused by 1877. It ran from the River Ancholme Navigation eastward towards the town of Caistor, but only about half was constructed and it reached to the village of Moortown, a distance of about 4.5 miles. C19 OS maps show six locks. The highest of these, near the basin at Moortown, had totally disappeared by the 1960's together with any other remains of a wharf, basin, or buildings there might once have been at the village end. However the other five locks survive and are complete except for gates and paddle gear. This lock forms a group with the towpath bridge (q.v.). The whole series of these locks and bridge is a significant survival of C18 canal engineering and displays an impressive quality of construction.
Other nearby listed buildings