History in Structure

Homes of Rest

A Grade II Listed Building in Graffham, West Sussex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9465 / 50°56'47"N

Longitude: -0.6812 / 0°40'52"W

OS Eastings: 492745

OS Northings: 117165

OS Grid: SU927171

Mapcode National: GBR FGW.NLN

Mapcode Global: FRA 96GL.VVJ

Plus Code: 9C2XW8W9+HG

Entry Name: Homes of Rest

Listing Date: 9 February 2011

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1396449

English Heritage Legacy ID: 509693

ID on this website: 101396449

Location: Graffham, Chichester, West Sussex, GU28

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Civil Parish: Graffham

Built-Up Area: Graffham

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Graffham St Giles with Woolavington St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Selham

Description


GRAFFHAM

1899/0/10070 THE STREET
09-FEB-11 1, 2 & 3
Homes of Rest

II
Almshouses, 1928 to designs by Leonard Martin FRIBA. Minor later alterations.

DESCRIPTION: The accommodation is arranged in three single-storey brick cottages which share an immense hipped, tiled roof, with a central triangular gablet on the fa├žade and an attic dormer window to the rear. The outer two cottages incorporate cross wings under smaller hipped tiled roofs, which advance to create a paved terrace courtyard in front of the building. The corners of the building have recessed quoins of red brick. The party walls between the cottages are indicated on the ridge line by two massive brick chimneys, each with three stacks set diagonally, which have moulded cornices and are set on rectangular panelled plinths, also with a cornice detail. Beneath the central gablet is a stone doorcase, to the middle cottage, which has lugged surrounds and a timber door. The door has three longitudinal panels and a glazed upper portion with decorative lead glazing bars. Front entrances to the outer cottages are located on the cross wings, overlooking the paved terrace, and have the same timber doors. These doors, the back doors to the cottages, and the windows throughout have red brick quoins and lintels formed of tiles laid flat. The windows are the original timber casements with square lead glazing bars; they are arranged in pairs or fours with timber mullions. The lead rainwater hoppers are decorated with armorial motifs and the monogram 'WW'. The gablet bears a foundation plaque which reads: 'Homes of Rest / for / Aged Workers / of / Lavington Park Estate // erected by / Lord Woolavington / Lord of the Manor / 1928'. The stone plaque has a round-headed top and volutes to either side.

The outer two cottages were inspected. These have the same L-shaped plan and a similar degree of surviving original features. These include: quarry tiled kitchen floors, quarry tiled hearths in the main living room and timber mantelshelves; and joinery such as picture rails, skirting boards, pantry cupboards and panelled doors.

HISTORY: The almshouses were built for Lord Woolavington who, from 1903, lived at nearby Lavington Park. Lavington Park (qv) is an Elizabethan house in origin, although its architectural character is predominantly of the Georgian and Edwardian periods, when James Lewis and Detmar Blow respectively were the architects of substantial remodelling.

Leonard Martin (1869-1935) is best known for his work with Henry John Treadwell, with whom he was in partnership from 1890. Treadwell and Martin were among the most inspired designers of offices and public houses working in London around the turn of the century. The architectural historian Alastair Service writes of the firm: 'the inventive brilliance of Treadwell and Martin ... is developed from the Gothic style, with other ingredients thrown in and the stirring done with a spoon of originality.' Leonard Martin was schooled at the South Kensington Architectural School and the Royal Academy Schools, before being articled to John Giles of Craven Street, Strand where he met Treadwell. After Treadwell's death in 1912 or 1913, Martin worked independently, before forming a partnership with EC Davies in 1929. In his solo period, Martin designed houses in Ilchester Place, Kensington; Burnt Stub, Chessington for Sir Francis Barker; housing schemes at Cobham, Oxshott and Molesey, Surrey; St Paul's Church, Wad Medani, Sudan; and the (now-demolished) Cathedral of Onitsha, Nigeria.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The Homes of Rest at Graffham are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* architectural interest: distinguished by its elegant composition, which mixes Neo-Georgian and vernacular forms, good quality materials and craftsmanship, and careful detailing;
* authorship: designed by Leonard Martin, who made his name as part of the renowned Edwardian architects practice, Treadwell and Martin
* historic interest: an unusual instance of the continued role of private benefaction in alleviating the predicament of older people, built just as the major institutions of state were reassessing their responsibilities;
* group value and setting: picturesquely located overlooking a green in a village at the foot of the downs, with many listed buildings nearby.

Reasons for Listing


Yes list

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.