This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.133 / 51°7'58"N
Longitude: 0.2636 / 0°15'49"E
OS Eastings: 558476
OS Northings: 139521
OS Grid: TQ584395
Mapcode National: GBR MPS.TQM
Mapcode Global: VHHQD.JS79
Plus Code: 9F3247M7+6F
Entry Name: Tunbridge Wells War Memorial
Listing Date: 9 June 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1401309
Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1
District: Tunbridge Wells
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Royal Tunbridge Wells
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Tunbridge Wells Holy Trinity with Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
First World War memorial by Stanley Nicholson Babb (1874-1957), with plaques added for the Second World War, unveiled 11 February 1923.
MATERIALS: Stone wall with bronze figure and plaques.
Set within a low retaining wall facing out towards Mount Pleasant, and in front of Tunbridge Wells' civic complex, which includes the town hall and the public library and museum, the memorial takes the form of a smooth-faced stone wall, set back approximately 1.5 metres from the pavement edge, with returning wings. To the centre of the wall is a raised plinth on which stands a bronze figure of a soldier, fully equipped for combat, his rifle with bayonet lowered and held in both hands across his body. The soldier's helmet is at his feet. The following inscription is spelt-out in bronze letters on the plinth: OUR GORIOUS DEAD / 1914 - 1918 / HONOUR GRATITUDE / PRAISE / 1939 - 1945. A laurel wreath is carved in relief below.
The wall is lined with bronze plaques bearing the Roll of Honour. On each of the flanking wings is a bronze lamp with a laurel garland carved beneath.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 1 December 2016.
The war memorial was unveiled by Colonel Viscount Hardinge and the Guard of Honour was provided by the 4th Battalion, The Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment. From the roof of a house in Calverley Parade, buglers sounded the Last Post and Reveille.
The monument stands in front of Tunbridge Wells' listed civic complex, which was built in 1939. The site of the complex was previously occupied by Calverley Parade and Calverley Terrace, part of the Calverley Estate designed by the architect Decimus Burton in the early C19. The retaining wall into which the memorial is set is a remnant of this earlier scheme, and contributes to its strong setting.
Tunbridge Wells war memorial, by Stanley Nicholson Babb, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by this community in the First and Second World Wars, it is of strong historic and cultural significance both at a local and a national level.
* Artistic interest: the bronze sculpture by Stanley Nicholson Babb is a powerful and expressive piece of work.
* Group value: although the memorial pre-dates the civic complex, these listed buildings provide a handsome and fitting setting for the memorial.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings