This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7202 / 50°43'12"N
Longitude: -2.0103 / 2°0'37"W
OS Eastings: 399367
OS Northings: 91177
OS Grid: SY993911
Mapcode National: GBR XLP.7Z
Mapcode Global: FRA 67P5.LN5
Entry Name: War Memorial in St Michael's Churchyard
Listing Date: 28 September 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1403661
Location: Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, BH15
Electoral Ward/Division: Hamworthy East
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Poole
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Hamworthy St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
War Memorial unveiled in July 1919, with later inscriptions commemorating those who served during the Second World War.
War memorial of 1919, erected by Messrs J W Mansell of Bournemouth.
Material: it is carved from Cornish granite.
Description: the memorial takes the form of a simple Celtic or runic cross and a tapering shaft, set upon a plinth that is also tapered, which in turn stands on a rectangular base with raised sides. The inscription on the west face reads: 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL MEMORY OF / THE SAILORS AND SOLDIERS OF THIS PARISH / WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919, / AND WHOSE NAMES ARE INSCRIBED HEREON, THIS CROSS / IS ERECTED BY THEIR FELLOW-PARISHIONERS AND FRIENDS'. It also carries the names of the thirty-four men who lost their lives.
Inscriptions on the north and south faces carry the names of the forty-six men who died during the Second World War.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 December 2016.
The War Memorial in St Michael’s Church in Hamworthy was the first free-standing memorial to be erected in Poole after the end of the First World War, and was paid for by subscription from the parishioners of St Michaels. It was designed and erected by Messrs J W Mansell of Bournemouth and was dedicated on 3 July 1919 by the Venerable Archdeacon of Dorset, the Reverend A L Dundas. The war memorial originally stood by the churchyard wall, alongside Blandford Road but, following the construction of the present church on an adjacent site in the late 1950s, the memorial was moved slightly to the east to stand within a paved outline of the site of the original church.
* Historic interest: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by this community in the First World War, it is of strong historic and cultural significance both at a local and a national level
* Architectural interest: a modest but competent design with a roughly-hewn Celtic cross head
Other nearby listed buildings