This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0524 / 55°3'8"N
Longitude: -1.4501 / 1°27'0"W
OS Eastings: 435230
OS Northings: 573243
OS Grid: NZ352732
Mapcode National: GBR LB90.VN
Mapcode Global: WHD4K.P8PK
Entry Name: Drinking Fountain
Listing Date: 5 December 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1410877
Location: North Tyneside, NE26
County: North Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: Monkseaton North
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Whitley Bay
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Monkseaton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
Drinking Fountain, 1937 Art deco style
The fountain is set within a large stone-flagged recess on the west side of North Promenade. It takes the form of a hexagonal cast-iron pillar with a stepped top; a small basin is attached to the front panel with a small plaque above reading:
THIS FOUNTAIN WAS/ ERECTED TO COMMEMORATE/ THE CORONATION OF/ T. M. KING GEORGE/ AND QUEEN ELIZABETH/ MAY 12TH 1937
Large basins are attached to the left and right side panels, and there are a pair of basins attached to the base for animals. The fountain is decorated with a variety of Art deco motifs including chevrons to the front panel, fluted motifs to the sides and the fountain has a wave-patterned top. The fountain is attached to a length of brick walling.
This drinking fountain was erected on 12th May 1937 to commemorate the coronation of T. M. King George and Queen Elizabeth.
Cast-iron drinking fountain erected in 1937 to commemorate the Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Rarity: a now rare example of a once ubiquitous form of street furniture;
* Design interest: it is an attractive and relatively rare example of an art deco drinking fountain;
* Intactness: an intact example which retains its five original basins;
* Historic importance: erected to commemorate the Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.
Other nearby listed buildings