This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.3819 / 54°22'54"N
Longitude: -3.3152 / 3°18'54"W
OS Eastings: 314677
OS Northings: 499287
OS Grid: SD146992
Mapcode National: GBR 5K9R.2Z
Mapcode Global: WH719.14L2
Entry Name: Barn west of Forge House
Listing Date: 24 October 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1410961
Location: Eskdale, Copeland, Cumbria, CA19
Civil Parish: Eskdale
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Eskdale St Catherine
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
An intact stone-built barn of early C19 date associated with a Grade II listed adjacent farmhouse and attached farm buildings.
MATERIALS: rough and angular local granite with large squared quoins; graduated greenslate roof.
PLAN: rectangular with small outshuts to the south gable and west elevation.
EXTERIOR: the three-bay barn is oriented north-south along a minor road, which separates it from Forge House and attached buildings (Grade II listed). The long east elevation has a central, cambered arch cart opening, with a blocked door and window opening to the right. There is a ventilation slit either side of the entrance in the upper level. The south gable has a small C20 outshut and there is an owl hole at the apex; a similar owl hole is also present in the north gable. The west elevation has the later C19 outshut attached to its north end and the remains of a blocked cart entrance. One of the quoins is crudely inscribed with some initials and the date 1812 or 1819.
INTERIOR: there are wooden stalls and feeders and the remains of cobbled floor. The original through purlin roof structure comprises two pegged trusses, one with angle struts, and rough purlins; the nature of the trusses suggest they may have been re-used from an earlier building.
Forge House (Grade II) is dated to 1750, and the attached barn, stable and byres are considered to date to the late C18th or early C19th. The barn west of Forge House, situated across the road from the latter, appears to have a date on one of its quoins of either 1812 or 1819 and this, along with its architectural style, suggests it was constructed in the early C19. The building is present on the 1st edition 1:10560 Ordnance Survey map of 1867 and is more clearly depicted on the larger scale 1st edition 1:2500 Ordnance Survey map of 1895. Between 1895 and the second edition of 1899 a small outshut was added to the north west side of the barn, and a small outshut was added to the south gable during the C20.
The barn west of Forge House of early C19 date is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Intactness: the original pegged roof structure and the survival of almost all original wall fabric, pierced by original openings means that the original form of this barn is clearly illustrated;
* Date: as a barn dating from before 1840 it sits firmly in the period when there is a presumption that all buildings that are generally intact will be listed;
* Interior: the original functions are readable in the single undivided space, and the original pegged truss roof is retained;
* Group Value: The barn has clear group value with the adjacent Grade II listed Forge House and its attached outbuildings;
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings