This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.0094 / 55°0'33"N
Longitude: -1.4531 / 1°27'11"W
OS Eastings: 435074
OS Northings: 568449
OS Grid: NZ350684
Mapcode National: GBR LB9J.62
Mapcode Global: WHD4R.NC82
Entry Name: War Memorial outside St Cuthbert's Church
Listing Date: 20 November 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1411540
Location: North Tyneside, NE29
County: North Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: Chirton
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Tynemouth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: North Shields Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
First World War memorial, 1920, sandstone
The memorial is situated within the boundary walls of St Cuthbert’s Roman Catholic Church. It takes the form of a crucifix upon a pyramidal-capped square pedestal; the whole is set upon a larger square, shallow base. The tall Latin cross with a triangular pediment, bears a corpus Christi with bearded head, crowned with thorns and bowed to the right. The arms are upstretched and fingers clasped, and a loose loincloth is knotted over the right hip. The left knee is bent and the feet superimposed. There is a carved scroll above inscribed with INRI.
The inscription on one side of the pyramidal cap reads:
THIS CRUCIFIX / WAS ERECTED BY / THE PARISHIONERS / OF ST. CUTHBERT'S / TO THE MEMORY OF THE / MEMBERS OF THE CONGREGATION / WHO DIED ON ACTIVE SERVICE / DURING THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918
The names of the 138 Fallen are inscribed in three columns on the front and sides of the pedestal and the letters 'R.I.P.' are inscribed on the upper side of the base.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 5 October 2017.
This war memorial was unveiled on 5th September 1920 by Dean Haggerty. It originally sat within the site of the old church (now demolished) on the opposite side of the road; it was moved to its present position outside the new St Cuthbert’s R. C. Church in 1975.
This first world war memorial unveiled in 1920, is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: it is a poignant reminder of the impact of tragic world events upon an individual community and, thus, has strong cultural and historical significance within both a local and national context;
* Design: it is a well executed war memorial incorporating a well-detailed crucifix.
Other nearby listed buildings