This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4738 / 51°28'25"N
Longitude: -0.2008 / 0°12'3"W
OS Eastings: 525051
OS Northings: 176515
OS Grid: TQ250765
Mapcode National: GBR CB.VD5
Mapcode Global: VHGR4.G7P1
Entry Name: St Dionis' Mission Hall
Listing Date: 6 June 2013
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1412874
Location: Hammersmith and Fulham, London, SW6
District: Hammersmith and Fulham
Electoral Ward/Division: Town
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Hammersmith and Fulham
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Dionis Parsons Green
Church of England Diocese: London
Former mission chapel, now hall, 1876 by Arthur Billing. Interior subdivided in 2003 by Nick Shipp Architects.
MATERIALS: red brick with stone bands and dressings beneath a clay tile roof.
PLAN: originally a single tall space with a small narthex to the west and further entrances to the south. Now subdivided horizontally to form upper and lower halls with toilets, kitchen etc.
EXTERIOR: the style is early French Gothic, typifying the 'muscular' variety of High Victorian ecclesiastical design. The south front to St Dionis Road is nearly symmetrical, with two bays of paired lancets on either side of the main door, the latter very grandly treated with stiff-leaf pilasters supporting a pointed arch surmounted by a crocketed gable and panels of incised ornament. Above, a tall two-light window with a ringed central shaft and a pierced quatrefoil head breaks through the eaves into a steep gabled half-dormer. To the left is a smaller door, also set beneath a crocketed gable. The gabled west front to Parsons Green has three stepped lancets with pierced quatrefoil heads linked by a hood-mould and a flush stone band. The lean-to narthex below is a miniature version of the south front, with a central two-light window and gabled half-dormer.
INTERIOR: a five-bay open hall (now subdivided horizontally) with wall-shafts attached to internal buttresses, rising to stiff-leaf capitals which support the principal members of a scissor-truss roof. The external stone banding runs right through the walls and is visible within as well as without, although the interior brickwork has been painted. At the wall-head is a frieze of pierced quatrefoils containing stencil decoration. At the east end, a broad stone arch encloses the sanctuary recess; its flanking colonettes have capitals linked to those of the wall-shafts by a continuous band of stiff-leaf carving.
The present St Dionis' Church at Parsons Green was preceded by a mission chapel and hall of 1876, designed by the prolific church architect Arthur Billing (1824-96) of the firm of Newman and Billing, also responsible for the nearby churches of St Peter, Varna Road and St Andrew, Greyhound Road. After Ewan Christian's new church was opened in 1886, the old chapel ceased to be used for services and became in effect the parish hall. A first floor was inserted in 2003 by Nick Shipp Architects.
St Dionis' mission hall, of 1876 by Arthur Billing, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: a typically forceful and muscular design by this respected Victorian church architect, unusually well detailed both inside and out, and well-preserved despite horizontal subdivision in 2003;
* Group value: part of a strong visual and functional group with the Grade II listed St Dionis' church and vicarage, the three buildings forming a particularly prominent and attractive ensemble within this leafy suburban townscape.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings