This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8528 / 50°51'10"N
Longitude: 0.5551 / 0°33'18"E
OS Eastings: 579947
OS Northings: 109033
OS Grid: TQ799090
Mapcode National: GBR PX9.H4R
Mapcode Global: FRA D61V.B2K
Entry Name: Cast iron boundary post on Maze Hill Terrace
Listing Date: 28 November 2013
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1416730
Location: Hastings, East Sussex, TN38
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Central St Leonards
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Hastings
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: St Leonards-on-Sea St Leonard and St Ethelburga
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
Boundary post, probably dating from c1830.
Cast iron boundary post. Standing approximately 600mm high and 160mm square with a pyramidal cap. The post is marked, below the cap and above a roll moulding, in raised lettering, ‘HLB’ (Hastings Liberty) on one face and ‘StL’ (St Leonards) on the opposing face.
The post is partly set into a later boundary wall. The wall is not of special interest and is excluded from the listing.
St Leonards was established as a speculative seaside development by the architect and builder, James Burton (1761-1837). Burton was one of the most prominent Georgian builders working in London, was responsible for much of the development of Bloomsbury and had worked with John Nash at Regents Park. In 1827 Burton negotiated the purchase of a strip of coastal land to the west of Hastings for the new town. Building work began in 1828 and by 1832 most of the public buildings, terraces and villas were complete. In 1850 a second phase of development was started by his son, the architect Decimus Burton (1800-81).
The land was marked by eleven cast iron boundary posts of which five remain in situ.
The cast iron boundary post on Maze Hill Terrace, St Leonards, probably dating from c1830 and marking the boundary of James and Decimus Burtons’ speculative seaside development is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Date: as a relatively early example of a cast iron boundary post;
* Rarity: early cast iron boundary posts are now rare;
* Location: the post appears from historic map evidence to be in its original location;
* Historic interest: as a marker for the parish boundary of St Leonards, the up-market, speculative seaside resort built by James Burton and his son, Decimus Burton, between 1828 and the 1850s;
* Group value: part of a group of five surviving markers, out of the eleven originally erected.
Other nearby listed buildings