History in Structure


A Grade II Listed Building in Cuckfield, West Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0054 / 51°0'19"N

Longitude: -0.1443 / 0°8'39"W

OS Eastings: 530293

OS Northings: 124528

OS Grid: TQ302245

Mapcode National: GBR JLT.SFK

Mapcode Global: FRA B6LG.7M5

Plus Code: 9C3X2V44+57

Entry Name: Somners

Listing Date: 3 February 2015

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1423492

ID on this website: 101423492

Location: Cuckfield, Mid Sussex, RH17

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex

Civil Parish: Cuckfield

Built-Up Area: Cuckfield

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Cuckfield Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


Early C18 house, reusing some earlier timbers. Re-fronted and refurbished in the mid-C19.


Early C18 house, reusing some earlier timbers. Re-fronted and refurbished in the mid- C19.

MATERIALS: oak structural timber frame, clad on the west side in render, the north side stuccoed with incised lines to imitate masonry and the south side in brick in Flemish bond. Tiled roof with a brick end chimneystack to the south.

PLAN: L-shaped end chimneystack house, the main eastern part of four bays, the L-wing of three bays.

EXTERIOR: the west or entrance front is pebble-dashed and has two three-over-three pane sash windows with horns in surrounds on each floor, and a central recessed doorcase with a similar surround and a half-glazed door. The north side is stuccoed with incised lines and the gable has a carved wooden barge-board. The south side has exposed brickwork with some grey headers and a brick chimneystack which appears to have the curve of a bread-oven near its base.

INTERIOR: the south ground floor room has a spine beam with a one-inch chamfer and triangular stops, probably reused, the south end supported on a curved wedge. The ceiling beams have nail holes showing they were formerly plastered over. The beam between this room and the kitchen retains some sockets for a former partition. Only the brick surround to the fireplace survives. The north ground floor room has a similar spine beam and ceiling beams with nail holes. The south end of the room was probably where the original stair was positioned. The fireplace opening retains its brickwork although the wooden fireplace is a replacement. The corridor to the east contains a mid-C19 half-winder staircase with a beaded plank partition but replaced balusters. One cupboard has an C18 door surround and there is an C18 tiled floor.

The first floor retains an C18 partition at the side of the staircase and a number of four-panelled doors. The north bedroom has a mid-C19 wooden fireplace with a cast iron basket grate. A further bedroom retains an original partition wall. The bathroom south wall, with a mid-rail and studs, is shared with The Friary. The reused spine beam has a curious semi-circular cut out on both sides. The door is ledged and planked with an original cast iron latch.

The attic retains the roof structure of staggered purlins; four bays north to south and three bays to the L-wing, with carpenters' marks.


Somners appears to have been built in the early C18, reusing some earlier timbers. The adjoining building to the south, The Friary, is believed to have been altered and reduced in size about this time and it is possible that some material came from this source. According to anecdotal evidence Somners was once connected to The Friary, and both buildings were in use as part of a private school in the C19.

A building is shown in this position on the 1843 Tithe Map. It appears on the 1874 First Edition 25'' Ordnance Survey map appearing to be a separate property. On the 1911 Third Edition Ordnance Survey sheet it appears to be connected to The Friary.

Reasons for Listing

Somners, an early C18 oak framed house reusing some earlier timbers, re-fronted and refurbished in the mid-C19, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Degree of intactness: despite mid C19 re-fronting it retains a substantially intact early C18 oak frame incorporating some earlier reused timbers;
* Plan form: an L-shaped end chimney house surviving substantially intact apart from the original staircase position;
* Interior fittings: retains a number of C18 and mid C19 cottage fittings, including a bread oven, tiled floor, doors, fireplace and staircase;
* Group value: adjoins The Friary, with which it was historically linked, and a number of other listed buildings within the historic centre of Cuckfield.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.