This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4071 / 52°24'25"N
Longitude: -0.4986 / 0°29'55"W
OS Eastings: 502228
OS Northings: 279851
OS Grid: TL022798
Mapcode National: GBR FYV.0RD
Mapcode Global: VHFNW.9RRK
Plus Code: 9C4XCG42+VG
Entry Name: Titchmarsh War Memorial
Listing Date: 13 February 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1424193
Location: Titchmarsh, North Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14
Civil Parish: Titchmarsh
Built-Up Area: Titchmarsh
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Titchmarsh St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
War memorial,1920. Later additions for the Second World War.
The Titchmarsh memorial, a 3m high sandstone cross, stands in the south-east corner of the churchyard of St Mary the Virgin. It comprises a wheel cross head set on a tapering shaft rising from a square plinth. The plinth stands on a two-stepped octagonal base. Inscriptions on the plinth are in relief and read IN HONOUR OF THE MEN OF/ TITCHMARSH WHO FOUGHT/ AND DIED IN WAR/ 1914-1919 1939-1945/ (NAMES). Other names are on the other faces of the plinth. There are 24 names for the First World War and four for the Second.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 January 2017.
A plan for the memorial was decided upon at a public meeting in July 1919. £240 was raised by subscription, and the architect J A Gotch (1852-1942) was appointed to design the cross. It was unveiled by Lord Lilford on All Saints’ Eve (31 October) 1920.
Titchmarsh War Memorial, which stands to the south-east of the church of St Mary the Virgin, is listed at Grade II for the following reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architect: designed by J A Gotch, the well-regarded Northamptonshire architect;
* Group value: it stands alongside the Grade I-listed church of St Mary the Virgin.
Other nearby listed buildings