This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3821 / 52°22'55"N
Longitude: -0.581 / 0°34'51"W
OS Eastings: 496681
OS Northings: 276955
OS Grid: SP966769
Mapcode National: GBR DXL.PXT
Mapcode Global: VHFP0.WD77
Entry Name: Woodford War Memorial on the Green
Listing Date: 27 May 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1426166
Location: Woodford, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Woodford
Built-Up Area: Woodford
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Woodford St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
The war memorial stands on the large Green at the village centre. It comprises a c5m tall sandstone obelisk with a reversed sword carved in relief on its front face. Beneath, at the base of the obelisk, HONOUR is carved in relief. The obelisk stands on a square, splayed, plinth, this set upon a four-stepped octagonal base. The memorial is c7.5 m tall overall.
The front face of the plinth is inscribed TO THE GLORIOUS MEMORY OF/ THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE/ GREAT WAR./ 1914 – 1919. The names of the fallen are inscribed on the other three sides. A stone let into the front face of the second step bears an inscription for the Second World War: TO THE MEMORY OF THESE MEN, WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945 (8 NAMES).
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 January 2017.
Woodford, unusually, has two freestanding war memorials. Following the end of the First World War a committee, under the Comrades Club, was formed to oversee the erection of a memorial in January 1919. It is believed that the church did not approve the design which was forthcoming – an obelisk – and accordingly arrangements were made to construct a second memorial in the churchyard near the north wall of the tower. The war memorial obelisk on the Green was unveiled on Woodford Feast Sunday (10 July) 1921 at a ceremony led by four clergymen; the memorial Calvary in the churchyard was unveiled on 15 October 1921.
Between the 1950s and c2000 the obelisk on the green was surrounded by a memorial garden. This has been reverted to grass.
Woodford War Memorial, which stands on the village Green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: a substantial stone obelisk, standing prominently on the village’s main open space.
Other nearby listed buildings