This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6208 / 51°37'14"N
Longitude: -1.1109 / 1°6'39"W
OS Eastings: 461648
OS Northings: 191703
OS Grid: SU616917
Mapcode National: GBR B26.7ZD
Mapcode Global: VHCYH.PJKC
Entry Name: Benson War Memorial
Listing Date: 13 August 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1427550
Location: Benson, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Benson
Built-Up Area: Benson
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Benson
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial, 1919, with later additions for the Second World War.
Benson War Memorial stands in a small triangle at the junction of Church Road and Oxford Road, in a prominent position at the centre of the village. Built of Cornish granite, it comprises a wheel-head cross decorated on both sides with interlace patterns carved in relief. The cross head rises from a plain shaft, which stands on a tapering plinth. The plinth stands on a three-stepped square base.
The names of those who died fighting during the First World War are recorded on the front and rear of the cross shaft. The inscription on the front face of the plinth reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN THE MEMORY OF THE MEN/ FROM THE PARISH OF BENSON WHO/ LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR KING/ AND COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR OF/ 1914 - 1918 THEIR FELLOW PARISHIONERS/ HAVE ERECTED THIS MONUMENT/ “THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”. In addition, the inscription 1939-1945 is carved on the rear of the plinth with the names of those who died in the Second World War listed below. All inscriptions are incised and painted black.
Small plaques fixed to the upper step of the base record the years in which the memorial was awarded Best Kept War Memorial in Oxfordshire status. The plaques are not of special interest. The kerbed area enclosing the memorial retains a flower bed and a brick path leads from the north-eastern edge of the triangle to the memorial.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.
The memorial was paid for by public subscription and erected in 1919. The names of servicemen from the parish who died fighting during the Second World War were added at a later date. In 2005 the memorial’s lettering was re-painted and the kerb around the triangle of ground on which the memorial stands was raised, funded by War Memorials Trust.
Benson War Memorial, situated at the junction of Church Road and Oxford Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic Interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: a well-executed Celtic cross with carved interlace decoration;
* Group value: with The Old Vicarage (Grade II-listed).
Other nearby listed buildings