This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6077 / 51°36'27"N
Longitude: -0.7003 / 0°42'0"W
OS Eastings: 490102
OS Northings: 190669
OS Grid: SU901906
Mapcode National: GBR D5L.3RX
Mapcode Global: VHDW5.TV5F
Entry Name: Loudwater War Memorial
Listing Date: 10 August 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1427740
Location: Chepping Wycombe, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP10
Civil Parish: Chepping Wycombe
Built-Up Area: High Wycombe
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Loudwater
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
War memorial, unveiled in 1923.
Freestanding war memorial, situated within a grassed area at the junction of Queensmead Road and Station Road. Executed in tooled granite, it comprises a wheeled Celtic cross set on a pedestal and stepped base. The cross tapers gently and a sword in relief is superimposed over the crosspiece. There is an inlaid inscription at the pedestal. Dedication: 'IN HONOUR OF THE LOUDWATER MEN WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914–1918’, and the names of the fallen, followed by ‘”WHO DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE”’. The obverse carries a Second World War inscription: ‘IN HONOUR OF THE FALLEN / 1939–45’, followed by the names of the fallen.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.
This War Memorial commemorates the fallen of the First and Second World Wars. It was unveiled in March 1923 by T. Dalziel and dedicated by the Right Reverend Bishop Edward Shaw, Archdeacon of Oxford. In 1989 it was moved from its original position in St Peter’s churchyard to its present position beside the local branch of the Royal British Legion.
Loudwater war memorial, unveiled in 1923, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reason:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design interest: a solidly made granite memorial in the form of a wheel-headed Celtic Cross with a sword in relief.
Other nearby listed buildings