This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7185 / 52°43'6"N
Longitude: -2.8716 / 2°52'17"W
OS Eastings: 341219
OS Northings: 313786
OS Grid: SJ412137
Mapcode National: GBR BC.1X96
Mapcode Global: WH8BK.VXQS
Entry Name: Ford War Memorial
Listing Date: 19 August 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1428272
Location: Ford, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Ford
Built-Up Area: Ford
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ford
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
A churchyard war memorial, unveiled by Captain Naylor and dedicated by The Revd. RH Croft on 4 July 1920.
A churchyard war memorial, designed by Nicholson and Clarke of Cathedral Chambers, Hereford in December 1919 and unveiled and dedicated in July 1920.
MATERIALS and PLAN: the memorial is of limestone. The sloping site on which the monument is set is compensated for by a domed platform. Above this is a stepped octagonal plinth. The base of the monument is square and the shaft of the cross is octagonal, as are the arms of the cross.
The cross head has cusps to its arms and a moulded band to its neck. The shaft is gently tapered and has broaches to the bottom, where it rises from the square base. The east front of the base is inscribed ‘TO THE GLORIOUS MEMORY / OF THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 -1919 / THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE’. Names are inscribed on the flanks of the base. The upper step of the plinth is inscribed ‘IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THOSE WHO MADE THE / SUPREME SACRIFICE IN WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945’. Names are recorded below.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 19 January 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was the Ford War Memorial in Shropshire. An architectural drawing of this exists, signed by Nicholson and Clarke of Cathedral Chambers, Hereford and dated 4 December 1919. Money was raised by public subscription. The monument was unveiled by Captain Naylor and dedicated by The Revd. RH Craft on 4 July 1920.
Ford War Memorial, Shropshire, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20
* Architectural interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of a cross with plinth;
* Group value: with the church of St Michael, Ford (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings