This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2581 / 52°15'29"N
Longitude: -0.6721 / 0°40'19"W
OS Eastings: 490734
OS Northings: 263044
OS Grid: SP907630
Mapcode National: GBR DZ0.JWH
Mapcode Global: VHFPK.9HKS
Plus Code: 9C4X785H+65
Entry Name: Wollaston and Strixton War Memorial
Listing Date: 17 August 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1428361
Location: Wollaston, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN29
Civil Parish: Wollaston
Built-Up Area: Wollaston
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Wollaston with Strixton
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
The war memorial stands on the east side of the extensive village cemetery in Cobbs Lane, in a bay created by the cemetery wall being carried outward. Approximately 4m high, it comprises a Weldon stone wheel-head cross which rises a tapering shaft. The shaft stands on an octagonal plinth, which stands on a two-stepped octagonal base of Derbyshire stone (with an outer kerb).
A panel of Hopton Wood marble is set into each face of the plinth. That on the front has an inscription which reads ERECTED/ IN MEMORY OF/ WOLLASTON/ AND/ STRIXTON/ MEN WHO FELL IN/ THE GREAT WAR./ 1914 - 1918./ “FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH.” The names of the fallen appear on the other panels. A panel set into the front face of the upper step reads 1939 – 1945; one on the rear reads 1914 – 1918. The names of those who fell during the Second World War are inscribed on similar panels around the upper step, with the additional names of the First World War dead added in 2006.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 January 2017.
Wollaston and Strixton War Memorial was designed and built by Messrs Higgins of Wellingborough. It was unveiled on 11 June 1921 by Lord Althorp during an ecumenical ceremony attended by local clergy, representatives of the Parish Council, ex-servicemen, uniformed groups and villagers. The land on which the memorial stands was given to the church for the purpose, by Miss Keep who owned the adjoining field.
There were originally 82 names of those who fell in the First World War, and eight of those who fell in the Second. In 2006 additional names were added, and the memorial now records the names of 90 men who died in the First World War.
Wollaston and Strixton War Memorial, which stands in the village cemetery, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: a well-executed medieval-style cross.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings