This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8454 / 53°50'43"N
Longitude: -0.4967 / 0°29'48"W
OS Eastings: 498998
OS Northings: 439846
OS Grid: SE989398
Mapcode National: GBR SRZZ.78
Mapcode Global: WHGF3.BLPW
Plus Code: 9C5XRGW3+58
Entry Name: Bishop Burton War Memorial
Listing Date: 15 October 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1429042
Location: Bishop Burton, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bishop Burton
Built-Up Area: Bishop Burton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bishop Burton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
First World War memorial. 1922 by Messrs Temple Moore & Moore.
War memorial commemorating the First World War. 1922 by Messrs Temple Moore & Moore. Ashlar sandstone.
PLAN: tall cross set on stepped octagonal and square pedestal raised on four-stepped, octagonal base.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial stands on a small peninsula projecting into The Mere with the cross facing east-west. The simple, stone Latin cross has a tall, chamfered and tapering shaft. It stands on an octagonal pedestal which in turn stands on a much larger, square pedestal with projecting square panels to each face. The panels are not inscribed. The square pedestal has a chamfered, octagonal plinth and stands on an octagonal pedestal with alternating flat and stepped faces. A stone panel is attached to the flat, south-facing face which records the men who died (not accessible). This pedestal stands on a high, octagonal base of four steps.
* The plaque mentioned in the History was erected in 2014 and so is excluded from the listing due to its recent age
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 1 February 2017.
After the First World War £641 was raised by public subscription to construct a memorial to commemorate the seven men from the village of Bishop Burton who had lost their lives participating in the War. The memorial took the form of a war memorial designed by Messrs Temple Moore & Moore and also a tablet set within the church of All Saints (Grade II*), carved by Joseph Armitage, a carver of some note. The war memorial, built by J Peers and Sons, was placed in a prominent position on a small peninsula on the south side of the village pond, known as The Mere, where it reflected in the water and could be seen from the main road (A1079) which bounded the north side. It was unveiled and dedicated on 16 October 1922 in a ceremony attended by Lord Nunburnholme and the Archbishop of York.
The plaque of the men’s names was placed on the south side of the war memorial, facing a small, enclosed wooded area, and subsequently was not very accessible. In 2014 the parish council erected a memorial plaque* set into the brick boundary wall enclosing the wooded area. The plaque copied the inscription on the church tablet. It records the names of the seven men; 2nd Lt. Richard Hall-Watt, 1st Bn. Grenadier Guards; Private William Berridge, Northumberland Fusiliers; brothers Lce. Corpl. Albert Curtis, Seaforth Highlanders, and Private Harold Curtis, West Yorkshire Regiment; Private Ernest Hawes, Army Service Corps; brothers Driver Richard Hudson, Royal Field Artillery, and Private Herbert Hudson, Manchester Regiment.
Bishop Burton War Memorial of 1922 by Messrs Temple Moore & Moore is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: designed in sandstone ashlar by well-regarded architects’ practice Messrs Temple Moore & Moore as a dignified, tall Latin cross on a plinth and stepped base and set on a peninsula to the village pond known as The Mere where it reflected evocatively in the water;
* Group value: the war memorial has a functional group value with the contemporary tablet carved by Joseph Armitage recording the men’s names, ranks, and military units in the nearby church of All Saints (Grade II*).
Other nearby listed buildings