This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1128 / 52°6'46"N
Longitude: 1.2461 / 1°14'45"E
OS Eastings: 622357
OS Northings: 251029
OS Grid: TM223510
Mapcode National: GBR VNK.HVZ
Mapcode Global: VHLBN.K533
Entry Name: Grundisburgh Cenotaph
Listing Date: 19 November 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1430759
Location: Grundisburgh, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Grundisburgh
Built-Up Area: Grundisburgh
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Grundisburgh St Mary Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands in a roadside enclosure in front of the Church of St Mary (Grade I-listed), separated from the churchyard by hedges. It is in a raised, gravelled area, approached from the street by rakes of three steps at either side of the enclosure. Built of Portland stone, it comprises a 3.4m tall cenotaph. Two stepped blocks rise from the main pylon, which stands on a stepped base. The base is raised on two shallow stone steps. A wreath is carved in relief on the front face of the upper stage of the pylon.
The front face of the pylon bears an inscription that reads TO THE MEMORY OF THOSE/ MEN OF GRUNDISBURGH WHO/ LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ FIGHTING IN THE CAUSE OF/ RIGHTEOUSNESS AND FOR/ THEIR KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918. (NAMES)/ “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN/ THIS THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS/ LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS”/ ALSO/ (NAMES). In addition, an inscription on the front face of the base reads AND/ IN THE WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945 (NAMES).
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 13 January 2017.
A committee comprising Lord Cranworth, the Rector, Reverend Edwin Sutton, and the Postmaster, Mr AJ Savage, was convened to consider ideas for a war memorial in Grundisburgh. The architect E Thomas Johns (Ipswich) presented a design for a bridge over the village stream in March 1919, but at an estimated cost of £1,000 this was too expensive.
A more conventional memorial was proposed. Grundisburgh Cenotaph was funded by 227 parishioners though public subscription, commemorating the 31 servicemen from the village who died fighting during the First World War. It too was designed by E Thomas Johns, and executed by John Notter at a cost of £278. It was unveiled on 22 August 1920 by Lt-Col HC Copeman CMG DSO and dedicated by Reverend Sutton. An inscription in honour of those who fell in the Second World War was added after the end of that conflict, unveiled on 7 November 1948. Conservation and repair work was carried out in 2009, funded by War Memorials Trust.
E Thomas Johns (1862-1947) trained and practiced as an architect in Ipswich. In partnership from 1889 with William Eade, for whom he had been an assistant, he was Surveyor to Ipswich Borough Council Education Committee from 1903. He practiced on his own account from 1912 and was also known as an accomplished artist. His architectural work includes the Grade II-listed Sun Alliance building in Ipswich, and he exhibited his watercolours at the Royal Academy from 1910 to 1930.
Grundisburgh Cenotaph, situated in the churchyard of the Church St Mary, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic Interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a well-proportioned Classical cenotaph with sparse yet dignified detailing;
* Group Value: with the Grade I-listed Church of St Mary.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings