This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0959 / 52°5'45"N
Longitude: -2.2102 / 2°12'36"W
OS Eastings: 385693
OS Northings: 244193
OS Grid: SO856441
Mapcode National: GBR 1HB.D23
Mapcode Global: VH936.MLW4
Entry Name: Severn Stoke War Memorial
Listing Date: 22 December 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1431686
Location: Severn Stoke, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR8
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Severn Stoke
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Severn Stoke with Croome d'Abitot
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
First World War memorial, 1920.
The memorial stands on a small lawn at the junction of Ham Lane, Church Lane, and the main road through Severn Stoke village. Built of Portland stone, it comprises a tall octagonal obelisk with an octagonal foot, rising from the plain cornice of a square plinth.
The principal dedication carved into the front face of the plinth reads ERECTED/ IN HONOUR OF THE MEN OF/ SEVERN STOKE/ WHO SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919./ THE FOLLOWING GAVE THEIR LIVES/ (14 NAMES).
Two of the other faces are inscribed THOSE WHO SERVED OVERSEAS, followed by the names of those who served overseas in the First World War. The fourth face is inscribed SERVED AT HOME, followed by the names of those who served on the Home Front. All inscriptions are incised and painted black.
Severn Stoke War Memorial was executed by the firm of Messrs Gardiner, and was unveiled by the Earl of Coventry on 23 October 1920. It commemorates not only 14 local servicemen who died during the First World War, but also 82 who served overseas and returned and 15 who served at home. Conservation and repair work was carried out in 2014, funded by War Memorials Trust.
Severn Stoke War Memorial, situated at the junction of Church Lane and Ham Lane in Severn Stoke, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic Interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War;
* Architectural Interest: an elegant Classical obelisk.
Other nearby listed buildings