This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.298 / 53°17'52"N
Longitude: -2.0993 / 2°5'57"W
OS Eastings: 393477
OS Northings: 377897
OS Grid: SJ934778
Mapcode National: GBR FZS9.9G
Mapcode Global: WHBBH.QCJJ
Entry Name: Bollington War Memorial
Listing Date: 29 February 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1432274
Location: Bollington, Cheshire East, SK10
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Bollington
Built-Up Area: Bollington
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Bollington
Church of England Diocese: Chester
First World War memorial with additions for the Second World War, erected in 1920, designer/sculptor unknown, constructed of local red and buff sandstone and taking the form of an elaborately carved Celtic wheel-head cross set on a tapering, rectangular plinth atop 5 steps.
First World War memorial additions for the Second World War,1920, designer/sculptor unknown.
MATERIALS: constructed of local red and buff sandstone
PLAN: Celtic cross set on tapering, rectangular plinth atop 5 steps.
DESCRIPTION: set within its own war memorial garden at a prominent road junction. The cross is of a tall wheel-head design with Celtic tracery covering the shaft. Figures of the patron saints of the home nations are carved on the cross arms, and the cross head is adorned with a carved tiled roof. Underneath the main inscription is a stone sculpture of a laurel wreath resting on the top step. The top two steps are of the same red sandstone as the cross, the lower three of buff sandstone. Due to the softness of the red sandstone and perhaps over-vigorous cleaning in the past, the stone is becoming worn. The inscription on the main facade of the plinth reads:
THEY WHOM THIS MEMORIAL / COMMEMORATES WERE NUMBERED / AMONG THOSE WHO AT THE / CALL OF KING AND COUNTRY / LEFT ALL THAT WAS DEAR TO / THEM ENDURED HARDNESS FACED / DANGER AND FINALLY PASSED OUT / OF THE SIGHT OF MEN BY THE PATH / OF DUTY AND SELF SACRIFICE GIVING / UP THEIR OWN LIVES THAT OTHERS / MIGHT LIVE IN FREEDOM LET THOSE / WHO CAME AFTER SEE TO IT THAT / THEIR NAMES BE NOT FORGOTTEN.
Above this the chamfer at the top of the plinth is inscribed ‘1914 - 1919 + 1939 – 1945’. On the other three sides of the chamfer are inscribed the names of the fallen of the Second World War, the dates of which are added to the base of the cross above, on each of these three sides. Below these names each side, above the panels containing the names of the fallen of the First Word War, is inscribed with the dates of that conflict. The top face of the second step is inscribed:
THIS MEMORIAL WAS UNVEILED AND DEDICATED / ON SUNDAY NOVEMBER 28TH 1920
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 26 January 2017.
The memorial was unveiled on 28 November 1920. It was paid for by public subscription. The appeal for funds said, "This monument will be the first of its kind in Bollington and the Committee's object is to carry out a scheme which will be a credit to the district and a worthy and lasting tribute to those Bollington men whose lives were given for the honour and safety of their fellow-countrymen”. The initial design suggested at the outset of the appeal comprised a decorative obelisk flanked by two statues of military figures and surmounted by a winged Victory. This was displaced however by the realised design in local materials.
The memorial is shown in its current position on the Epoch a5 First Edition (National Grid) 1:2,500 map of 1968. In 2015 six new freestanding panels were dedicated adjacent to the memorial with 202 names including some amended spellings and 20 names not included on the original memorial.
Bollington War Memorial, which stands within its own war memorial garden at a prominent road junction and takes the form of an elaborately carved Celtic wheel-head cross, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design quality: of the well-executed Celtic cross and the carvings of saints and intricate interlace patterns.
Other nearby listed buildings