This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.384 / 51°23'2"N
Longitude: -0.4175 / 0°25'3"W
OS Eastings: 510218
OS Northings: 166188
OS Grid: TQ102661
Mapcode National: GBR 3Z.FF4
Mapcode Global: VHFTY.QG4V
Entry Name: Walton-on-Thames War Memorial
Listing Date: 8 February 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1432721
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT12
Electoral Ward/Division: Walton Central
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Walton-on-Thames
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Walton-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
First World War memorial, 1921.
DESCRIPTION: The war memorial stands in a small memorial garden at the junction of Ashley Road, High Street, and New Zealand Avenue. It comprises a large stone pier with semi-circular ends standing on a two-stepped base. The plinth’s slightly domed cap, comprising a decorative string course, supports an elaborate achievement of arms carved in stone, painted and gilded. The achievement, on a heavily moulded base, is formed of an arrangement of flags with, to the front, the Royal Arms, and to the rear, a shield displaying the cross of St George. The helm, mantling and crown are rendered in the round.
The lower element of the string course is a frieze bearing the inscription LET • US • NOW • PRAISE • FAMOUS • MEN • THEIR • GLORY • SHALL • NOT • BE • BLOTTED • OUT • THEIR • NAME • LIVETH • FOR •EVER. Five bronze plaques mounted on each face of the plinth, separated by bronze flambeaux, carry the names of the commemorated men.
The inscription on the east flank of the plinth, carved in raised letters within a lozenge, reads SACRED/ TO THE/ MEMORY OF THE/ SOLDIERS & SAILORS/ OF WALTON-ON-THAMES/ WALTON WARD/ WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918. On the west flank, also carved in raised letters within a lozenge, the inscription reads 1939-1945/ IN/ REMEMBRANCE/ OF ALL THOSE MEN/ WOMEN & CHILDREN/ OF WALTON-ON-THAMES/ WHO LOST THEIR LIVES/ THROUGH ENEMY/ ACTION IN THE/ SECOND/ WORLD/ WAR.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Two granite plinths bearing inscriptions for the Second World War and for Iraq stand in front of the First World War memorial. The memorial garden includes a number of benches and litter bins, and is enclosed to the rear and sides by a low hedge, and a chain carried on posts to the front. These subsidiary features are excluded from this Listing.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 5 December 2016.
Walton-on-Thames War Memorial was unveiled by Lord Beatty on 8 July 1921, dedicated to 132 servicemen who lost their lives during the First World War. Following the end of the Second World War a general dedication was added for the men, women and children of Walton-on-Thames who lost their lives during that conflict.
In September 2002 two granite plinths were erected in front of the memorial at a cost of almost £20,000, recording the names of those who lost their lives during the Second World War (including civilian casualties). A further inscription was later added to one of these plinths dedicated to a soldier who lost his life in the Iraq War.
Walton-on-Thames War Memorial, which stands in the Memorial Garden at the junction of Ashley Road, High Street, and New Zealand Avenue, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community and the sacrifice it made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: an elegant and well-executed Classical war memorial.
Other nearby listed buildings