This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3139 / 51°18'50"N
Longitude: -0.5093 / 0°30'33"W
OS Eastings: 503992
OS Northings: 158258
OS Grid: TQ039582
Mapcode National: GBR 0S.28Y
Mapcode Global: VHFV9.473K
Plus Code: 9C3X8F7R+H7
Entry Name: Pyrford War Memorial
Listing Date: 3 March 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1432845
Location: Woking, Surrey, GU22
Electoral Ward/Division: Pyrford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Wisley with Pyrford
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
First World War memorial of 1920 with further names added after the Second World War.
The war memorial stands in a prominent location beside the Church of St Nicholas on the main road through Pyrford village.
The memorial comprises a plain Cornish granite cross surmounting an octagonal tapered column set upon an octagonal plinth. This is set upon a three-stepped base.
Inscriptions and names are carved on the north faces of the plinth. The inscription reads: 1914-1918/ OUR/ GLORIOUS/ DEAD. Twenty-four names of those who lost their lives in the First World War are inscribed on two faces in black raised lettering. Further names are recorded on two of the west faces. The inscription reads 1939-1945 and underneath are 22 names of those who lost their lives in the Second World War. The other faces are blank.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 6 December 2016.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was erected at Pyrford as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War. It was constructed by masons of the Necropolis Company based at nearby Brookwood Cemetery and it was dedicated on 18 July 1920 by the Bishop of Guildford.
Following the Second World War, the names of those who lost their lives in that war were also added.
The memorial was repaired in 2000 with additional granite laid around base to stabilise it.
Pyrford War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified Cornish granite cross;
* Group value: with the adjacent church of St Nicholas (Grade I).
Other nearby listed buildings