This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4618 / 51°27'42"N
Longitude: 0.4973 / 0°29'50"E
OS Eastings: 573576
OS Northings: 176602
OS Grid: TQ735766
Mapcode National: GBR PNW.6K1
Mapcode Global: VHJLF.KJR8
Plus Code: 9F32FF6W+PW
Entry Name: Cliffe War Memorial
Listing Date: 23 May 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1432857
Location: Cliffe and Cliffe Woods, Medway, ME3
Civil Parish: Cliffe and Cliffe Woods
Built-Up Area: Cliffe
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Cliffe-at-Hoo St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
First World War memorial in St Helen's churchyard, unveiled in 1920.
The memorial stands on the southern edge of the churchyard next to the boundary wall and gate. It consists of a granite, rough-hewn Celtic cross. A smooth cross motif is carved on the front of the cross in relief. The cross has a tapering shaft which stands on a four-sided stone plinth. This stands within a raised square of grass that is bordered by granite kerbing and low granite posts.
The inscription on the front of the plinth (East face) reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE BRAVE MEN/ OF THIS PARISH WHO LAID DOWN THEIR/ LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY IN THE/ VICTORIOUS STRUGGLE AGAINST THE/ ENEMIES OF MANKIND./ AUGUST 4TH 1914 – JUNE 28TH 1919. Below this are two columns of names of those who lost their lives. On each of the North and South faces there is a single column of names. On the West face the inscription reads 1939 – 1945 below which are two columns of names.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 1 December 2016.
The memorial was unveiled on the 15 February 1920 by Major-General H. F. Thuillor CB in the presence of a huge gathering. It was constructed at the edge St Helen’s churchyard in place of the war shrine, which had been erected during the war, and was subsequently moved to the church porch. Cliffe War Memorial was designed by Mr. J. H. Durrant of Rochester and cost £255, the money raised by the community was £277 and the balance was set aside for the upkeep.
In 1949 the names of those who died in the Second World War were added to the memorial and Col. R.M.W. Marsden, of Cooling Castle, unveiled this.
In 2013 a project was undertaken to conserve the memorial with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.
Cliffe War Memorial, in St Helen's churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Group value: with St Helen's Church, listed Grade I.
Other nearby listed buildings