This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3152 / 52°18'54"N
Longitude: 0.0593 / 0°3'33"E
OS Eastings: 540467
OS Northings: 270567
OS Grid: TL404705
Mapcode National: GBR L5V.XF5
Mapcode Global: VHHJN.Z26G
Entry Name: Willingham War Memorial
Listing Date: 5 April 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1433302
Location: Willingham, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB24
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Willingham
Built-Up Area: Willingham
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Willingham
Church of England Diocese: Ely
First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1921, with Second World War additions. It was sculpted by T Robinson and Sons of Runcorn.
First world war memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1921, with Second World War additions. It was sculpted by T Robinson and Sons of Runcorn.
MATERIALS: of rock-faced granite.
PLAN: it is square on plan.
DETAILS: the memorial takes the form of a Celtic wheel-head cross that stands at the intersection of two footpaths in Willingham village cemetery. It comprises a two-step base, a trapezoidal plinth and a tall shaft which tapers in rectangular section to a Celtic wheel-head cross. All the stonework is of rock-faced rustication. Inscribed on the west face of the plinth is the First World War dedicatory inscription which reads 'THIS CROSS WAS ERECTED / IN / GRATEFUL AND HONOURED MEMORY OF / THOSE FROM THIS PARISH / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 - 1919. / GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS / THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS'. The names on the men who died are inscribed on the north and south faces. The east face of the plinth bears the Second World War dedication which reads 'ALSO / WORLD WAR II / 1939 - 45 / [names].
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 January 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was erected in Willingham to honour the 36 men of the parish who died during the conflict. The idea of a parish war memorial was first considered at a public meeting on 14 November 1919 when it was decided to erect a large, Celtic cross in Willingham village cemetery. At a subsequent meeting of the war memorial committee on 3 February 1920 it was decided to accept the estimate of Messrs T Robinson and Sons, Runcorn, for the erection of a Celtic memorial in Cornish granite, for the sum of £197. It was unveiled and dedicated on 2 January 1921. Following the Second World War a second dedicatory inscription was added to commemorate the seven local men who died during this conflict.
Willingham war memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1921, with Second World War additions, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of a Celtic wheel-head cross;
* Group value: with the Church of St Mary and All Saints (listed Grade I).
Other nearby listed buildings